Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hondaham is finished

scottydog

Finally after fighting with a few electrical gremlins, the Hondaham is finally finished, and I was able to take the first proper test flight.

Push the start button and it fires into life, sitting at a constant 900 rpm, oil pressure at around 6.5bar.

Into 1st and off we go, instantly I recognised a complete difference from the VHPD, the engine would drive happily, at low revs with no coughing, or misbehaving.

Driving around in traffic, the car is now a complete joy to drive, will pull cleanly from 1500rpm, in any gear, pulls away from lights without having to be above 4000rpm, and is a complete pussycat!

Then onto a bit of open road, drop 2 cogs and floor it, instntly the bellow from the roller throttles, assaults your ears, you notice a pitch change and the extra push as the VTEC cuts in, and you are pinned to the seat up to the 8500rpm rev limit, with all the shift lights going nuts, into the next cog, and away we go again! 😬 All 240 ponies screaming to be let loose, absolutely brilliant!!

Got back from the first 30 miles or so, with a huge grin on my face, the car is so much easier and more rewarding to drive, and the noise is fantastic!! *thumbup*

Shame mine won`t be the only one for much longer, as Ian already has 2 more in the pipeline, which should be started very shortly. ☹️

Really pleased I decided to give this engine a try, will be really interesting to see how she goes on circuit!

Scott *cool*

Looks a neat install!

Think thats an SV bodied car, as my engine bay is a lot tighter squeeze than that, we couldnt fit the standard intake plenum, and are using roller throttles, also have a pace dry sump tank wedged in as well.

The exhaust runs around the steering column, the radius would have been too tight to do anything else.

Has taken a lot of work to get everything to fit in and work together, really glad that its done, can now get on with having fun again!!

Scott

Ian is the owner of clockwisemotion, who deal with tuning bits for type r honda`s, I seem to remember him saying that he did the first honda engined elise, for a friend, quite a few years ago, but never took it any further.

My car was given to him as a guinea pig, to see whether he could make this work, although he was certain he could.

After 6 months of very hard work and a huge amount of fabrication work, he has finally finished it.

It was designed as a conversion, the same as the elise one, I seem to remember him mentioning £9K, for a complete conversion, although it would be worth giving him a call just to check, as I said he has 2 people that have given him orders, and he has the engines and ancillary components waiting.

Scott

Honda, fabulous engineering, unburstable power plants *thumbup* *thumbup*

On the down side, I thought they were a bit of an anvil in the weight department, with the associated handling drawbacks *confused* *confused*

Has it been weighed yet 🤔

Not weighed it as yet.

But having removed a lot of the bulky items, i e 60 amp alternator, cast inlet manifold, mega thick steel exhaust manifold, heavy flywheel, etc. and then fitted lightweight alternatives.

We have also removed about a ton of excess wiring from the K series loom, most of which was not used 😬

Expecting it to be a tad heavier than the K, but not by a huge amount, will need to get it flat floored, so should know soon.

Besides Ian said that if we do a bit of internal work, should be able to get 280bhp, as is completely stock at the moment, and he is developing a 2.5, which in its early stages is pushing over 320bhp!

Also would be happy with a slightly heavier engine that I know is not going to let me down, blow HG, fry starter motors etc (not that I am dissilussioned with the K you understand!! 😳)

Scott

Sandy,

All going according to plan, should be able to bring it to the next meet.

Hoping to get it on the rollers this weekend, so we can make sure the mapping is spot on, and new bigger rad should be here next week.

Then its just a case of enjoying it, fingers crossed!! *thumbup*

Scott

Lakey,

How have you been getting on with the Toyota engine??

What sort of power is it developing? and how does it compare on weight with the K, as I understand the Toyota is a very similar engine to the Honda.

Got a day at Donno, early Mar, so hoping to take it there and put it through its paces, see how she goes.

Scott

I`m one of the main instructors with Goldtrack.

As far as I`m aware its a noisy day, which gives us a 120dba limit I think, we have a porsche that comes on the days, that is physically painfull to listen to.

Don`t have an airbox as yet, just open roller throttles, but may have to get one if we have problems.

Am hoping it goes well, suppose time will tell!!

Scott

If it's the same one, I remember that Porsche from Goldtrack's noisy day there last year - and yes, rather deafening as it goes past with open megaphones! Hopefully I'll be there. Do you know if they have the noise meter on for noisy days so we can find out if we'd manage quiet days? Some bribery possibilities I hope! Noisy days are rare.

We have a huge 7.5" silencer on it as well!

Its as quiet as a mouse, until you open up the rollers and the VTEC cuts in, then its gets pretty loud, still its a lot quieter than the old VHPD engine!!

Might try and have a word with Frank, find out where the noise meters are now, if I can get a few laps it would be better than nothing, failing that will take it to Silverstone international the following week.

While on the US Caterham tour last year, followed a couple of the U.S made Ultralites both with Honda power. They were seriously fast, outdragging a few superbikes here and there which the riders seriously weren't expecting. I know I've only got a crossflow, but often when the will took them, the two just dissapeared from view in front, and on one occasion during an impromptu drag race, Steve's car appeared to pull well in front of a 6+litre Chevy Moroso powered Westfield, also on the tour,

Just had a look at the Ultralite web site.

Very weird beasts, looks a like a seven that went a bit wrong!!

Also shows that the honda engine cannot be that heavy if they get their cars down to 520kg

I am running a bit more torque than theirs as well, 171 vs 151, not sure how much difference that would make.