Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roll Bar specification

Sootysevener

Can anyone out there advise me of the tube specification for FIA roll bar and where I can get one made up. I quite fancy having one made in stainless tube *cool*with extra height so I can use it with a half hood and the full hood without sticks

David

1989 1700XF SS clams with carbon

You will find the spec in FIA Appendix J, Article 253, Section 8.3.

The material spec is

Cold drawn seamless unalloyed carbon steel (see below) containing a maximum of 0.3 % of carbon

UTS > 350 N/mm2

Minimum dimensions - Main Tubes: 45 x 2.5 or 50 x 2

Note : For an unalloyed steel, the maximum content of additives is 1% for manganese and 0.5% for other elements.

So although there are stainless steels that would easily meet the spec, they wouldn't be allowed because they have too high a component of other elements. E.g. 316L has only 65% of Fe.

You could use stainless steel (or aluminium, or titanium, or induction hardened treacle) if you were prepared to homolgate the structure yourself, according to tests laid out in the regs.

Paul

Edited by - PaulD on 13 Feb 2006 21:10:56

Thanks everyone. Safety Devices have moved and relocated manufacture to Poland. They can still supply for Caterhams but only in minimum production runs of 5. They have limited designs for bars and cages but certainly cannot do all models.

Very clearly know there stuff but the change of ownership of caterham seems to have resulkted in a parting of the ways - heard that before somewhere

David

1989 1700XF SS clams with carbon