Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sanity check - Which way does water flow in a radiator?

Ian Macquarie

I have just been talking to someone who asserted that:-

"hot water goes from the engine into the bottom of the radiator and then comes out of the top of the radiator cool and then back into the engine"

I expressed surprise to which he replied that most people get it wrong - Old systems without a pump went the other way (ie hot at top cool at bottom) but modern ones with a pump were as above.

Who's got it wrong him or me? (I'm sure my xflow system is hot at the top and cool at the bottom.)

Ian

He has it wrong. The coolant enters the top of the rad, cools as it passes down the finned tubes and re-enters the engine at the bottom.

If he doubts this, just get him to put a hand on the top hose and the other on the bottom hose when the engine is running and warm. He will find it considerably cooler on the bottom hose - as it should be. *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Pooh_R,

Thanks, struggled a bit with the URL.

That's how I thought it worked. He said the opposite.

The worrying part is that I'd phoned him up to ask technical questions about his oil/water heat exchange product - How much weight do you think I should give to anything else he told me?

Ian

• Leadership Team

For a K-Series:

If you stand on the exhaust side of the 7 looking at the engine, then make 2 horizontal rotating circles above the engine with your hands, LH clockwise, RH anti-clockwise, this shows the direction of flow in the relevant hoses. Nig Marston explained it this way some time ago and it's the easiest description to understand *thumbup*

Stu.

For a K-Series:

If you stand on the exhaust side of the 7 looking at the engine, then make 2 horizontal rotating circles above the engine with your hands, LH clockwise, RH anti-clockwise, this shows the direction of flow in the relevant hoses.

And makes bystanders believe you are a witch doctor for cars

The happy handle made me do it