Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery duff, in just two years - Battery conditioner (usually) connected

Chissy

Any ideas, thoughs and verbal abuse welcome. 1995, Dunnell Zetec 1.8

Fitted a new battery less than two years ago, also bought a Halfords Draper battery conditioner as I have the constant drain of a Vecta immobiliser.

All fine except the other week I forgot to connect conditioner (DOH) and now the battery won't accept any charge.

Q1. Have I broke it? Can it be brought back to life?

Q2. Assuming I need another new battery - is there a beefy battery I can buy?

Thank you

Lead acid batteries don't like to be left in a state of discharge and so, yes, it could well be knackered. I fitted a beefier Banner battery in my old Zetec 7 but to be honest it didn't really need it as the standard one lasted over 6 years on a conditioner.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Is the Draper model just a trickle charger?, or is it a conditioner that cycles the battery? The draper model I looked at in halfords a while ago seemed to just be a trickle charger? which I have heard can over charge a battery and dry them out? ☹️ thats Why I bought an optimate.

Edited by - blade_runner on 22 Nov 2005 14:47:02

Do a search of the archives. This Draper item has been discussed a few times before. I flogged mine and replace with a proper "intelligent" conditioner having replace my battery. Essentially it's not ideally suited to the small capacity batteries that we run in Sevens.

Steve.

Chissy

The Draper conditioner is fine for continuous use. It is NOT a trickle charger as someone thought above. I have had one connected continuously to my 7 for almost 3 years and have had no battery problems whatsoever.

However you should check the water levels not less than once a month if you are leaving it on a conditioner. When you tried to charge the battery after it appeared not to accept a charge, I am presuming you used a standard charger (which you should) and not by trying to charge it with the conditioner (which isn't man enough for the job other than keeping the battery topped up).

The suggestion to jump start the car is a good one as the alternator is the fastest charger you possess and will probably get the battery going again. I do suspect low water levels are the problem however.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Chris W

Like you, I have a Draper Conditioner, used it continously all last winter with no problems.

However, this autumn due to circumstances beyond my control (age and forgetfulness 😳 ) , the water level in the battery fell below the plates.

last weekend I topped it up and put back on the Draper.

Do you think the battery will recover its ability to retain charge or is it likely to be permanently damaged?

I'm hoping my mistake won't be too expensive *smile*

cheers

Ron

Ron

My feeling is that you will most likely be OK. What batteries really don't like is being left discharged which is not what happened in your case.

The water evporates which basically increases the acidity of the total liquid in the battery. This, on its own, will not detrimentally affect the battery unless you allowed the liquid content to grossly fall. In fact, in some (very cold area) the acidity is run much higher than we would normally use, to aid starting.

When you say "the water level fell below the plates" I am assuming you meant below the TOP of the plates? I don't believe it would fall "below the plates" unless you had some kind of leak which would render the battery useless anyway.

So long as you have now topped it up and the battery is charged, you should be OK. Obviously the proof of the pudding etc is to monitor its starting capability over, say, the next month.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Chris,

Thanks for your input.

Yes, I should have said "below the Top of the plates".

It didn't need too much demineralised water to get the level above the plates, so it can't have been too low.

As you say, we'll see over the next month or so, depending upon the weather ☹️

cheers

Ron

I've used Nicks method of connecting a good, fully charged battery via heavy jump leads and putting a home battery charger on the slave battery. Make sure all the connections are good. Leave for 24 hours and it should have got it above 12v.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited