Click here if you are having website access problems ×

6 or 5speed for 2.3 Duratec?

timbo

I need a bit of advise here guys.

The 2.3 I'm building should be good to c.210bhp with max power most likely sub 6500rpm (using std 2.0L cams (8.8lift).

I may be able to get my greedy paws on a 6 speed at a hopefully reasonable price. With this i'd use a 3.38 diff.

Am I mad going for the 6 speed with this eng? Should I be talking to BGH or SPC for a HD 5 speed?

The 6 will give me as follows (calculations are based on 6,500 shift)

1st = 48mph; rev drop to 2nd = 1643

2nd = 65mph; rev drop to 3rd = 1358

3rd = 82mph; rev drop to 4th = 1104

4th = 98mph; rev drop to 5th = 936

5th = 115 mph; rev drop to 6th = 748

6th = 130mph

At 79 mph cruise I'm running 4000rpm in 6th.

The SPC 5 speed semi helical as follows (3.92 diff)

1st = 47mph; rev drop to 2nd = 2312

2nd = 73mph; rev drop to 3rd = 1393

3rd = 93mph; rev drop to 4th = 1128

4th = 112mph; rev drop to 5th = 845

5th = 129 mph

At 79 mph cruise I'm running 4000rpm in 5th.

The rev drops aren't that far different except for 1st to 2nd between the 2 boxes. I love changing gear but if the torque is so overwhelming am I wasting my time with the sixer?

As anyone any constructive thoughts on this?

Also bear in mind I will be upgrading the engine for more power at a much later date and will use the same gearbox as fitted now!

anxiously waiting for my new 2.3 SV

Hi Timbo why not have A word with Chris at Raceline thay have done a couple of Duratics and im prity sure thay use the B.G.H 5 Speed box, I all ways thougth that you needed a lot of gears ie; 6 on Engines that had no torque like motor bike engines to keep them on the boil but that is not an issue on a caterham so unless you are getting A six speed box for next to nothing I dont see the point, also its an extra gear change so if you put two caterhams side by side one five speed one six speed which one would get to top speed first Regards Paul

I looked at both, but went for the BGH, great ratio's with 3.92 diff. However I have cracked my gearbox case (with 226bhp) so am about to fit an alloy Quaife box as they are stronger. New engine is 270ish bhp so everything is at its design limit. Allegedly BGH are developing an uprated box to deal with this and a bit more, no idea when it will be finished.

As to the 6 speed, if you can find one cheap, why not, it has an alloy case already. You truly do not need 6 gears though. Only other problem with the 6 speed is you cannot fit the Raceline bellhousing and engine mounts with it as it has a long input shaft. The Raceline setup is designed to place the engine further back in the chassis, so it has a short bellhousing and engine mounts that place the whole package rear wards. I think Minister will do a bellhousing and engine mounts to suit.

Duratec SV, built in Dubai *cool*

Just FYI a BGH 5 speed box with an alloy case and lid is actually slightly lighter (1/2Kg) than the 6 speed with it's alloy case.

How long till you need to make a decision? can you get out in a Duratec 5 speed car in the mean time? that's probalby going to be the only way to confirm your choice. I'd offer you a ride in mine but it's not going to back for a while and even the it'll be off the road for a couple of months whilst I tidy a few things up.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 19 Nov 2005 18:39:28

I'm pretty sure Brent went for the BGH 5 speed in his. I think the perceived wisdom is such that the engine has generous torque thus effectively rendering the 6 speed unecessary - certainly for mainly road use.

C7 GON - There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'

Raceline actually do a bellhousing for the long input shaft 6 speed and a set of mounts to suit as well
Ah, I didn't realise that, as the last time I was talking to Peter he told me about the time he put in a 6 speed, he had to use a spacer between the bellhousing and gearbox. Guess they may have it all developed by now.

Duratec SV, built in Dubai *cool*

Rob, with the 6 speed on 3.38 diff the 6th 1.1 top is the same as 5 speed with 5th 0.87 with a 3.92.

So here's the question for 2.3 owners:

If you could get a 6 speed at the same price as a 5 speed CR what would you choose?

anxiously waiting for my new 2.3 SV

As Andy W says, I have the BGH 5 sp as well with a 3.92 diff and I think the ratios are just perfect for my 240 bhp engine which has oodles of torque. I once drove a x/flow with a 6 speed and although the changes were nice, the ratios just seemed to be way too closely spaced for even that engine so I really can't see the point with the Duratec.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Echo the 5-speed over a 6-speed. I have 250bhp 2.3 with 3.92 diff and a high 2.2 first and it suits the car very well; it certainly doesn't need another gear for either track or road use. The 6-speed is certainly needed for a narrow torque band, but the Duratec pulls strongly from 4k.