Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bike computers - responsiveness

jono

Fitted a BC1200 a few weeks ago and quite pleased with the result, except the car is now a lot slower 😬.

Only thing is the mph reading is quite slow to respond both on acceleration and slowing down. I had expected a seamless rise and fall on the read-out but it a bit jerky and jumps up sometimes in 2-3 mph increments. Perhaps this is only to be expected from a bit of kit designed for a push bike but does anyone know if this is normal?

One thing occured to me (and I am no electronics expert) is that I spliced the extremely fine 2 core cable on the sender unit with much heavier 2 core speaker cable off my tv speakers. Is the use of a light guage wire similar to that fitted to the BC1200 likely to improve the situation or is what I've got the best I can hope for. I used the magnet the unit came supplied with and araldited it to the inside of the wheel rim - it has the recommended clearance but might a stronger magnet improve reponse?

Cheers for any help *thumbup*

Think that it's normal and will be something to do with the frequency that the unit samples the signal. On a bike, it's not too big a deal because the change in speed via acceleration or deceleration is relatively slow, so the computer keeps up. Clearly this is somewhat different on a 7, so it can't.

My BC1200 responds in exactly the same way that you describe

SteveP

The Caterham Pages here

Yep, been using the BC1200 (old style) for years. On the 2nd batt.

I rigged up a light holder and small bulb that comes on wioth the side lights. I took the old speedo out, moved the cable and drive = heavy.

Bike computers are fine for MOT's and even SVA I read on Blatchat.

As another positive if you have a limited mileage insurance it just got a lot fairer/better value for money!

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

Edited by - stevefoster on 26 Aug 2005 16:17:03

Same experience here. You'll find that it seems to jump in even bigger increments (around 4mph) as you accelerate above 100mph... - I think some of this is just to stop the display flickering though - the max-speed register (and the actual speed if you stop accelerating) seems to read OK.

As a point of interest I also bought the Sigma led light (£7) which site alongside the unit and illuminates it in a nice soft green glow

I've always wanted to find out:

i) Are these filament lamps or LEDs

ii) How long do the bats last - and what voltage are they.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 26 Aug 2005 16:40:06

I was wondering about putting a second magnet on the wheel on the opposite side to the other one, then programming the wheel size (circumference) as half what it is now - I wonder if this would change the responsiveness? Certainly on out Motec on the race car it uses 4 magnets per wheel to measure speed. I wonder if it is worth a try, wouldn't take much.

BTW. Tchibo (coffee shops) are selling a 16 function Wireless Bike computer for £5.49 !!!! I got one for my push bike and the equivalent in Halfords is about £20. It says solar-powered (which it is but also has a lithium cell so it works in the dark too and is also illuninated. Amazing value.

Gives trip distance, speed, average speed, maximum speed, odometer, time and temperature. The wireless wheel unit contains a battery too and is operated by the usual magnet.

They are also available Tchibo's website

here

Tchibo only sell items for about a week or so and then they have new products. When they're gone, they're gone.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

• 2 weeks later...
  • Area Representative

Grubbster

Good idea to use more than one magnet, but with my 'Cateye' speedo there is a limited range of wheel diameter that can be input. Suspect it will not be possible to go low enough. Worth checking before you embark on fitting an extra magnet.

Incidentally, I used to fit the magnet on my wheel rim, then moved to the hub, just beneath front disc. Now put it on drive shaft adjacent to diff (De Dion) and it's a much better job.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional