Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cutting holes in bodywork

Tyrone

For me it was a Dremel with router attachment and cutting bit. Then finish to a smooth edge with a sanding wheel on the Dremel.

Apply at least two layers of masking tape before you start. Mark up where you want to cut and set to.

Others have used nibblers attached to drill IIRC. There was a thread about this a few months back so a search may help.

Steve.

I just used good quality left and right handed snips for a perfectly cut hole. Cover the area to be cut in masking tape and take your time, moving the snips forward a little bit at a time. Don't be tempted to take long cuts with each stroke.

Worked just great for me anyway. *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Not sure what it is called, but on each occasion I have done this for someone else I have used a set of these round 'die-cutters' - drill a pilot hole, assemble the thingy each side of the skin and bolt together - it clamps and cuts the side skin perfectly, with no flexing or edge bending on either side (hard to achieve with snips) The largest diameter in the set was perfect for the 'corners' of the exhaust cut-out - just used a flap wheel/dremel/file combination for the bits inbetween...

Big update!

here

80,000miles in 3 years plus