Click here if you are having website access problems ×

AO48 questions

Pete

Just bought a set of Yoko's finest 185-60 section, but I wonder if the knowledgable on Blatchat could answer a couple of questions for me please?

1.What are the best tyre pressures. I am running them at 18psi and the ride feels a bit bouncy at low speeds. The car has a standard springs, flat floored, raked and with a bigger front anti-roll bar, rear ARB and a Watts linkage.

2.What are they like in the wet? (Rather know now than find out the hard way) ☹️

Thanks guys.

I run mine at 18 psi and have no probs.

I got caught in the rain at the weekend for the first time with 48's and was plaeasnatly suprised. Obviuosly I ws not driving like a loony in the wet but they certainly did not slide all over the place or even threatenv to float when I hit standing water on the A3 in the pouring rain. They do however throw up a huge amount of water when going about slow manouvers, I got a lap and face full of water as I was doing a 3 point turn then later pulling up to a raoundabout, (serves me right for having cycle wings and an aeroscreen I guess !)

All in all I am very happy with them !

21 all round hot for me too, usually means about 15-16 at the back cold and 17-18 at the front cold (depending on track temp)...perhaps 0.5 to 1psi lower on the left (depends on track)....

But saying that I've never tried any other setting (if it ain't broke.....) .....21 is what Mr Polley recommends.

17F

18R

Cold & Dry & drop a couple of psi when its wet.

They can get a bit dramatic in the wet tho! *eek* I had an off and a 360 at Llandow when I hit a patch of standing water in the rain when the front nearside just skimmed across it without any grip *mad*

On normal roads they're very good in the dry & need a bit of TLC & respect in the wet but are quite predictable. *thumbup*

How do you get the dead flies off your teeth....... 😬 R5AAH

I've got 5289 miles out of my 205's 48Rs at the rear........................and I guess still another 1000 miles in'em 😬

Just thought that wear rate needed mentioning!

Emerald Isle's 1st SV 148lbft @ 6091rpm/182bhp @ 6690rpm engineered for low revs

Cor, thanks guys! What a wealth of information.

I noticed that the fronts were completely cold after the initial run (countryside cruise) but that the rears were quite warm to the touch. I think I'll try Dave Jackson's set-up and see what happens.

I'm going to Llandow on Saturday so that will be a good time to refine the pressures. I will have access to a laser thermometer so I should be able to get some good results. I'll post them afterwards.

I am reassured by the 'wet weather' comments, but in view of the amount of water that gets shipped onboard, I'll have to get SWMBO to wear oilskins and a Sou'-Wester. 😬 😬 😬

Dave Timbo is a wimp his rev counter has never been past 4000 and he just pussies around at 30mph all the time I reckon he'll be the first guy in history to throw away aset of 48s because they have dozed with age ;-))))

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

Se7en Services.N.I.

Caterham Service Agents. www.onthelimiter.com

Well what do you expect with a FU***d Dedion and 12mm toe out at the rear.plus camber all away to Blazes.

Thats another 300 quid in Caterhams coffers this week.

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

Se7en Services.N.I.

Caterham Service Agents. www.onthelimiter.com

if you do a few track days, all the other rubber you pick up on track, means they'll never wear out.

The car leaves the track about 1" higher than it goes in. 😬

Tim (L7 EVN - on the upgradealator)

In fairness, if any 7 wearing A048s hits standing water doing over 80MPH it's likely to aquaplane. I set my A048s to 18PSI (cold) and this does seem to work quite well for road and track use. I'm not sure that putting it much lower in the wet will improve lap times, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Edited by - RobF on 11 Aug 2005 01:45:56

Update on my original post.

In the end I went to Llandow with 18psi (cold) all round and the set-up seemed fine to me.

Nice tyres 😬

On the weather front, I was in a shop getting some food, when the only torrnential downpour of the day started. I ran back to the car to find SWMBO sitting under an umbrella but still a bit damp round the edges. Got the, 'Bl**dy useless car, I'm never going in it again' routine. ☹️

Pity about that, but on the other hand, if the Rev Limiter is not around, I'll get to hit the other rev limiter more often *tongue*

edited for proper English like what it is spoke.

Edited by - Pete on 11 Aug 2005 08:09:05