Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A couple of probably seriously dim questions..

Rich_F

pkay - be nice to me - I've owned my Seven for coming up to 5 days now.. so I'm a shiny happy newbie to all this...

hoping you good folks can help me with a couple of things..

1. whilst having a look under the dash at the weekend, noticed a pull-lever to the right of the steering wheel. Looks like an old skool choke control, but I've no idea what it is? the vendor didn't mention it.. Its set midway out at the moment.help!

2. I'm looking to install some in car storage, and am thinking of a map carry mesh affair mounted on the bulkhead behind the seats. I see james whiting sell these - are there any other suggestions for in car storage? and is it ok to stick self tap screws inot the bulkhead there?

thanks - I *really* like my new car. Finally driving gets fun again 😬 😬

R

The pull lever is the heater control!! Yes..you have a heater 😬 😬 😬 Pull out to set max temp, push in for luke warm air 😬 😬

The map pockets are good and yes, self tappers will work!!

Happy blatting 😬 😬

P.s...Surrey area meet is this Thursday at Wooton Hatch near Dorking!! Come along!! Some of us play nicely down there *thumbup*

Dannyboy *tongue*

153bhp and 184lb/ft ??????????????????? My arse *tongue*

Edited by - Dannyboy on 17 May 2005 10:53:31

Rich,

Take off the bonnet, and you will see that the "choke" control operates the wire cable to the heater valve. Did you not know that you have a heater 🤔 Many Members will try to persuade you to remove it - but it is very useful for early morning blats (like last Sunday) *cool*

Knew we had one - didn't realise it was adjustable!

I have a very heat-sensitive girlfriend - its important that she stays warm so the heater will be staying put. She's amazing - managed to fall asleep on the way back home on sunday up the M23 - with the roof of!

😬

R

Rich. welcome to Se7en ownership - YOU WILL ENJOY IT *thumbup*

Heater sorted *thumbup*

Self tappers will protude into the boot. 🙆🏻

I've used a motorcycle tank luggage mesh between the seats (about 9" square with 2" mesh) it holds my flying helmeted teddy bear (called Ballast Bear 😬) a bottle of drinking water & a cloth very easily. When SWMBO is with me it holds a miny back pack and the Ballast Bear goes in the boot. I've used round head bolts with two keyring loops under the heads at each corner. I cut the bolts flush with the nuts so that bags etc in the boot don't get cut.

Use the James Whiting mesh things for the sides of the footwell (they don't hold much but are usefull)

Unsure of the answer to the heat sensitive girlfriend (but glad to help out 😳)

rog

C7 TNT - it's like dynamite (Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey )

Roger

Thanks - seven ownership feels good so far 😬

"I've used a motorcycle tank luggage mesh between the seats (about 9" square with 2" mesh) it holds my flying helmeted teddy bear (called Ballast Bear) a bottle of drinking water & a cloth very easily. When SWMBO is with me it holds a miny back pack and the Ballast Bear goes in the boot. I've used round head bolts with two keyring loops under the heads at each corner. I cut the bolts flush with the nuts so that bags etc in the boot don't get cut."

The James Whiting ones are now much bigger - (365mm X 180mm). not sure why keyring loops? the use of bolts instead of self tappers makes sense... I now wonder if these new ones will be too big for the footwells - I wasn't planning to put anything in the footwells in fact and I don;t have harnesses, so the bulkhead position is easy enough to reach..

"Unsure of the answer to the heat sensitive girlfriend (but glad to help out)"

Thanks for the offer! *tongue*

R

The heater "off" setting is always a bit iffy. There are a couple of adjustable vents under the dash that you can close and these cut out most of the residual heat if it's still on when you turn it off so to speak.

A lot of us have taken the heater out in the interests of weight saving (you need to buy or make up an aluminium blanking plate for the hole) and also it's not strictly needed even in the depths of winter, but I suggest you run the car for at least a year before doing that to make sure you can live without.

*thumbup*

C7 CDW

Congratulations on your choice of Seven-friendly girlfriend - it makes a BIG difference! There are too many divorce xcases around where the Seven has been cited as co-respondant to testify to that. Your GF sounds like a good long-term investment 😬

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Hmmm - I reckon I could probably get to a bulkhead map pocket with harnesses on... I currently store stuff behind my seat, but that requires something close to dislocation of the shoulders to retrieve stuff. One of these days the traffic lights will change and I'll still be stuck 😳 The other info on fitting the pockets looks like it could be useful.

As for the heat sensitive girlfriend - perhaps you could encourage her to wear more... 😬 I do sympathise as mine got a bit chilly when we got rained on at the bottom of the M23 on Saturday. She wouldn't put up an umbrella when we were stopped in traffic, but we had to go home in the evening with the roof up (1st time the roof has been used since I got the car in October) as she wasn't happy with travelling 100 miles in the chilly weather without it. I am cheered up by the fact that she still wanted to get back in the 7 rather than accepting a lift home from a tintop-owning mate!

cheers,

Darren.

Rich

the m/c net doesn't have a frame. it's just a floppy net. the key ring hoops are used at each corner with another looped through the first over the round head bolt.

even if i took a photo I don't know how to post them on BC.

The bigger James W net might hold a map ok but I keep my road map wedged between the seat squab & the side wall or tunnel wall.

As for the offer - happy to help 😬

rog

C7 TNT - it's like dynamite (Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey )