Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New build...which engine??

Topwelshman

I've just placed an order for a starter kit, delivery is the end of this month! I need to confirm the spec by tomorrow to ensure March delivery & have a load of questions that I really need help on. The car is primarily going to be used for track tuition & hire & for my personal use as well & maybe to race in 2006. I have a VERY tight budget & don't want to spend a fortune on parts that I just won't need or use, but also want something that has a clear upgrade path & something that will remain sellable in the future. I'd also appreciate any thoughts on how to save money, i'd like to SVA it but don't like the thought of sourcing all these bits from CC, again on money grounds!

Gearbox - 5 speed or 6 speed, the 6 would be nice but budget worries me

Engine - Zetec, K series (i'd like a 1.8 preferable for ease of uprgrade), Duratec

Any help would be appreciated *biggrin*

XL Motorsport....Racing into the Future

If the car is to be used for tuition/hire than it sounds as though it'll get used long & hard and probably abused (whether by accident or not) along the way too. For those reasons a stock engine makes a lot of sense - if it gets trashed it's only a few hundred quid to replace it. I'd go with a 6-speed box though (or a BGH 5-speeder), it'll feel much more like a race car than with the stock 5-speeder.

The medium-term future is clearly Duratech - probably not the cheapest secondhand scrappy option at the moment but they'll get cheaper.

If you're thinking of racing it then you really need to consider what series you're interested in since that will drive the answers to all the other questions.

Mike

Duratec will be plus £500 on the chassis to start with.

A good close ratio 5 speed box will cost £1000 ish.

You might be able to pick up a 2nd hnad 6 speeder for £1500

If you go duratec or zetec 5 speed is fine, with a K you probably want the 6 speed

K series should be slightly cheaper as more of them around and 2nd hand parts widely available

Duratec being a new engine will be expensive although future upgrades will be much cheaper.

With a duratec you pay a lot of the money up front. In the end they all work out about the same.

You can omit weather gear as that can be picked up 2nd hand.......as can seats.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

come to the club meet tonite - one of the guys is just doing a Duratec for track and has also biult a K from starter kit . There will be several people who can advise and can provide practicle help .

Plus the barmaid has a great ass even if the engine choice isnt decided *tongue* 🙆🏻 *thumbup* *thumbup*

duatec is what I was thinking, but that might rule out running in Grads or Mega grads which is where I might race if I decide to go that route. Above all, the engine needs to be easy to maintain, good power from stock & not be too stressed when pushed hard

I think you'll find that a starter kit will rule out Super and Mega Grads anyway (and all Caterham factory series). For example, from the regs:

Vehicles eligible for this class of the Championship must be the 2001/2002/2003/2004 specification

DeDion 1600 Academy chassis.

So unless you buy an Academy chassis, I don't think it will work.

Oh, and engines have to be MSA sealed of course, but you might be able to retro do that (at a cost).

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary

My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

not sure you'd be eligble for supergrads or megagrads with a k car built from a starter kit. Best check with the organisers first unless you specced that car to exactly academy or roadsport B spec with their race chassis etc.....

I just built a K series car from a starter kit. Easy peasy. Sourced real low mies diff/6 spd/ex-superlight engine all off blatchat. Also some other low risk bits and bobs, the rest all came from CC. mail me offline of you want a more detailed view. Was easy and SVA'd easily too.

First few miles have shown the 6spd to be the best decision I made 😬

The 1.8 is a stroked 1.6 so you could argue the opposite is true.

Don't fit a Zetec to a new build it would be a very odd combination. Zetecs are only usually fitted as a replacement for Crossflows. Would have less residual value than a offical fit engine.

Spoke to CC, apparently the only differences between the Academy chassis & the Raodsport is the Academy has the redcued passenger footwell to allow fitment of the battery lower down ^ also does not have the spare wheel holder, might specify it to this spec anyway so it would be eligibli if I decide I want to race it. How much smnaller is it & is it worth it & can the tyre radck be removed at a later date? Would this affect the SVA rules?

Am I right in thinking that I could fit a 1.6K & upgrade to A 1.8 later on, ie same fitment?

Edited by - Topwelshman on 3 Mar 2005 13:33:53

Edited by - Topwelshman on 3 Mar 2005 13:40:01

best spec a race chassis as you say of you might want to go racing. ditch the spare wheel bracket anyway. Unnecessary weight, I just carry some tyre foam.

Yes a 1.6 can be upgraded to a 1.8 easily enough.

Also lots of good K's about as people in caterhams switch to duratec and elises switching to honda. Seen some bargains. My 5000mile ex-superlight K was a stunning bargain, a chap upgrading his superlight to duratec power! If you end up with a non-caterham K series don't forget to budget for all the other ancils you'll need, wet sump, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, mods to block, starter, alternator, oil filter housing, water rail, crb, loom, hoses, cables etc.....

Much better to look for an ex-caterham K series with all these bits present and correct.

to Dom Evans..... I can't reply to your blatmail, you'll need to include your email address in your blatmail text so that I can reply to you. But to answer your second question. You can SVA any car, its just that if the components are not all new (one is allowed to be recon to "as new") then you'll get a q plate rather than a current plate when you register it. That either bothers you or it doesn't.....

Ok, i've gone for the K series chassis to academy spec,ie shortened passenger compartment & no tyre carrier on the back as it seems to be more track focussed. Any comments on this before I commit to it? Is there any major differences between an Acadmey chassis & a roadsport A or B chassis that might stop me running in this championsip If I wish to go that route?

I'll choose whether to go for a 1.6 or 1.8, 5 or 6 speed this weekend.

So far I'm leaning towards adding a carbon dash, widetrack,Apollo Tank & LSD & FIA Cage

If I do build with used parts & have it on a q plate rather than a current reg, how will it affect it's value if I need to sell it on? I plan to keep it but I'd like to be able to make an informed choice.

I've wanted one of these since I was a kid & i can't wait to get stuck in.

Edited by - Topwelshman on 3 Mar 2005 17:49:31

Edited by - Topwelshman on 3 Mar 2005 17:53:26

Dom, i'll send you some more info on my build in a while

Q plate residuals are obviously worse, especially in the world of Caterhams (as lots of people like to pretend these are not kit cars and don't like the association a q-plate brings). So that immediately reduces your market. Also Caterham wouldn't buy it off you. So the saving has to be substantial up front to make it worth it. Saying that I don't really have a feel as to how much worse the residual is versus an equivalent current plate car but I figured in my case that the £8-9K differential was worth it. Its something worth thinking about though because much of the attraction of a Caterham is the strong residuals. Key is to get a really accurate picture of your build costs (i'll send you a copy of mine tomorrow).

Academy cars, commonly move up to roadsports B (and with more mods to Roadsports A) then often into Supergrads or Megas later, so they are accepted. You'd need to check with the organisers and the regs what the engine spec must be etc.. but if you are starting with an academy spec race chassis you are most of the way there and it leaves your options open.

An RSB/Inter chassis *is* an Academy chassis.

Just a word of warning on the Caterham series - before you buy you'll really need to read the regs. For example, honeycomb fuel tank protection is mandatory. A plumbed in extinguisher is (for 2005) mandatory. A full cage is mandatory. You'll need to consider all these things before buying your chassis so that you are aware of what you'd need to do to take it racing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that buying a new (non-Academy) car is not an easy way to get into an official Caterham series.

Before you do this, speak to Nick Potter at Caterham Midlands. They run the race series and will tell you exactly what you should buy/spec if you want to run in RSB/Inter/A's at a later date.

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary

My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

Consider adding the dry sump option - it's much cheaper to do it now rather than later and pretty much essential for track use (although Dave Jackson/Hellier have developed a baffle for the wet sump which appears to work).

I'd be interested to know which LSD they're going to supply!

Mike