Click here if you are having website access problems ×

fitting adjustable platforms

fordy

• Leadership Team

I did it slightly differently ......................

I am not suggesting you do it this way - it worked for me but has inherent dangers involved *eek*

Whilst the car was under its' weight on the wheels, I tied the springs tightly with a number of lengths of climbers "prussic" cord - 6 to 7mm diameter was fine. On jacking the car up the springs became loose due to the springs not being allowed to extend - the cord goes BL**DY tight *thumbup* The springs can then be removed, and refitted with the adjustable platforms in place. Refit to the car, then remove the cords when the springs are re-compressed under the cars weight. This is the last time the cords are needed - subsequent removal can be done by adjusting the platforms *thumbup*

Stu.

I have taken off standard dampers before with out sprin compressors as all the ones i could find wouldnt fit.

Basically jacked each wheels up in turn to compress the spring up and then used three massive ty wraps (similar to the ones the police use) to hold the spring in compresses state, release the jack and the spring should be loose. Can take the damper off then cut the ty wraps - be careful your fingers arent in the way.

Putting them back on to adjustable platforms means you dont need the compressors as they can be wound right out.

NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES

Two tie wraps through the springs either side of the damper, two good sized screwdrivers through the spring between the damper and tie wrap (one either side), damper end on floor drivers wedged under something solid lever down, slip of collet from top, ease of pressure. Tap of mounting plate. Relocate circlip (a bit of shimming metal under the c'clip will stop it scratching the damper body)

Did it last night *thumbup* *thumbup* - Do think of the risks before doing it.

Next problem will be getting the damper eye off to fit the adj platforms - Clamp the damper stem in a GOOD vice between two bits of alluminium and TIGHTEN the vice HARD *eek* *eek* Get one of your good sized srewdrivers and wind off the damper eye, sorry try to wind off, tighten vice even more, try to wind off, get length of steel tube to increase leverage on vice, wind off eye. 😬 😬

Paul M