Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Inserting New Wheel Bearings

Ferrino

Bought some alloy front hubs for the rebuild and have now sourced some new wheel bearings (from an online bearing supplier for a good price).

What is the best way of inserting the races nice and square into the bores of the hub?

Can I do it at home with a vice and an appropriately-sized socket? Do you need to lightly grease the outside of the races (ie. the surface which interacts with the hub) to help them in?

How much grease do you need to pack into the 'caged' part of the bearing?

Cheers! *smile*

Lobbying Caterham for a new badge....

I've always pressed mine in on a 10T press with a suitably sized mandrel, but then again, I'm lucky to have one at my disposal where I work!

Not sure of the vice approach, you may not get enough tonnage.

Try a local machine shop if they do charge you, I doubt it would be much.

As far as grease goes, I pack as much asI sensibly can into my bearings. I've never seen a failure due to overgreasing!

visit Carrotland.co.uk

last time i changed front wheel bearings [albeit on a normal hub] i was able to chap the bearings into place. piece of fairly solid wood 'just the right size' and a rubber hammer. just work your way around and gently tap them down square, avoiding hitting any part too many times and getting it 'wedged'...

had no problems since.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've just tried replacing the bearings on my seven, and I'm a little worried as with one bearing set replaced I had real difficulty getting a split pin in. Comparing with the other wheel, the nut doesn't tighten so far so there is only a very small amount of hole available for the split pin.

I believe the races are square and fully in, although my method of inserting them was faily crude (gradual tap in circles using the old race as a mandrel and a bit of wood for protection).

Anyway, the split pin is in, but should I be worried about the difference as a hint that something isn't right?

Cheers!

Martin

Ah, school boy error that I made last time, but alas no. This is more just that the hub doesn't seem to sit as far back as it did previously, which results in not a lot of the hole being exposed when I try and put a split pin in.

I'll try and do the other set of bearings tomorrow and see if they are any different.

Cheers!

M.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but my mistake was slightly more stupid than even I would have expected! *confused* I had two of the washers that hold the felt face to face (enclosing the felt). It looked neat and tidy but sleeping on it and actually thinking it was obvious it wasn't right! :)

Anyway, both bearing sets replaced now, and the hubs are running like a dream! The nut has to be tighened far less now (pratically just finger tight now) to stop any lateral movement so there is far less resistance.

Wahoo! 😬 My first proper bit of mechanical work on the 7 bar changing the oil. I stuck Mintex M1144's in while I was at it.

Only problem now is after replacing the oil and cranking the engine to restore some oil pressure, with the plugs back in the engine won't turn, flat battery! 🙆🏻

Thanks again guys

M.