Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clonking when coming off accelerator

coopertrooper2001

Hi Coopertrooper

If your car is a Live axle then the CC metalastic bushes will only last between 300/1000 road miles depending how hard you drive - regardless of what CC tell you - the issue is that the rubber deteriorates when contacted by grease or oil and back axles are rarely absoluteley oil tight and dry externally.

If your car is de dion axle then bushes will not come under the same lateral strain as the live axle and should last a lot longer.

The use of polybushes rather than metalastic will improve durability but also stffen up the back end and this can impact on handling making a live axle marginally more back end twitchy.

Changing the rear A frame bush is a 20 minute job and no big deal in the spanners department

David

1989 1700XF SS with upgraditis

Might be worth checking the engine mounts are secure too. I had a similar problem with one of my previous Caterhams, and it turned out to be the exhaust pipe contacting the chassis due to a missing bolt on the engine mount - going into the block *eek*

This was replaced and all were tightened, which then lifted the engine/exhaust off the chassis tube by about 4mm *thumbup*

Meant I had to do an oil change at the same time though, as this got in the way of tightening the bolts.