Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fire Damaged Caterham on Ebay

jonboylaw

CONFUSED

The ad says they will ONLY break the car so dont ask about them selling as a whole

But when you call about a part they just want to take your name and phone number

as they want to sell the car complete

they said they are giving it about 7 days to sell and if it doesnt sell complete they will then look at breaking it

*confused* *confused*

For info they are after 3k for it

Damage does not look too bad from the outside.. so long as the chassis is straight arch should be able to recoat it. Full strip down needed.

I assume its going to be a track car so should be able to get it back in running order for 2 or 3k.. so a cheap car!

LeMans 2004 pics here

*FREE* Seven related chat here

Not if you were always going to remove from EBAY before the end of auction

what are people bidding on anyway

as said before they advertise a car then state that it is for breaking and when you call they tell you they only want to sell complete

Why no ID on this car anyway

If you do buy Wahey-All the best with this

Wahey.

So why didn't you just buy a starter kit? At least that could be registered as a Caterham so would have some value when finished!

I hope you have checked that what you are buying is not stolen, although I suspect that the vendor might not be forthcoming about its history (having read his reply to the negative feedback comment). The only legitimate explanation I can think of for somebody removing the car's identity is if they intended to rebuild it on a new chassis. But in that case why didn't they keep the re-usable bits?

Very suspicious!

Hi Guys, its a salvage yard selling the car. The insurance company will have paid out on the car to the owner. Some vehicles like this recorded as total losses are sold on a spares only basis, thats why he's advertised it as such. The id is not available in a bid to crack down on fraud. If the id was available, as used to be the case with this type of salvage, you paid £3k for a logbook, stole a similar car, swopped the id's and got a mint Caterham with a legal id for £3k. The insurance company's have finally come to the conclusion that total losses should mean just that.

Suppose Caterham could also have replaced him the car under an insurance payout with an identical model using the same id, almost as though you had repaired a damaged one, but without touching the damaged one. Does no one know the owner?

As Eddie says, it has no ID because it has been a complete write off or total loss so it is deemed beyond any kind of repair and is not allowed to go back on the road again. The breakers yard is a very reputable one and they mainly deal in ferrari, Porsche and TVR. I have heard good things about them and they are very local to me. I have spoken to them on several previous occassions and they are pretty helpful people. Nothing dodgy.

As Simon stated, so long as the chassis seems fairly straight, I should be able to get a fairly cheap track car up and running. I will be tarting up my Superlight an making it more road orientated now so one for the track and one for the road!! I know it's greedy but you can never have enough Caterhams!!

I left a deposit today and should be able to pick it up in parts next week.

Wish me luck, i know I'll need it. I am bound to unearth more problems than I expect but it will be interesting.

BTW, the auction was only ever run to gain interest so I don't know what people are bidding on either. I have agreed a price directly with them for all parts except wheels.

Buy knackered old XF 7 that's been crashed but is deemed restorable.

Buy this one.

Send this one to Arch, restore it.

Fit chassis plate and no plate from Qxxx XXX. Tell DVLA that you have "restored and modified it with a number of new parts". Result, one modern road legal 7 with all the post 96 chassis mods and exempt from emissions.

Sell the bits you don't want to a Locost builder.

Dunno how legal this is. It seems to be within the letter but not the spirit of the law.

I can't see the point in having a 7 for purely track use unless you want to go into a race series, since single seaters are very cheap to buy. *confused*

battered old supersport. Simple answer is because i do about 25 track days per year and this puts more mileage on my car than road use! My Superlight could use a rest after a having had a few years of this.

I always use a trailer when i go to track so no need to ever touch the road. Having a £6k track car to the same spec as a £15k road car makes sense? Well, to me anyway.

And why the hell I am outside the spirit of the law!!! I also want to know why I would want to pay more for a 1980 car that needs more work doing to it?

Agreed on £3100 for all bits minus wheels as I would never use 14" ones.

agreed AVES, thanks.

I think as much as anything, it will be interesting to see how the rebuild goes and what is unearthed. I can keep people up to date and if more like this come up then others can potentially get cheap toys too. I have not heard of others rebuilding a burnt one. i know of people that have put crashed ones back on the road but as far as i know, this is a new one and well worth a try.

So please, don't try to shoot me down before we have had a go!!