Click here if you are having website access problems ×

250lb front springs

adrain

After conversations with Simon L at Caterham, I bought a pair of 250lb front springs for my SV, to replace the existing [150lb?] springs.

The change went OK - no problems with bolts etc. but I cannot get the ride hight anywhere near what I had before, it is about 30mm higher!

I took them off and tried another groove in the platforms, but could not get one suitable.

Anyone had any similar experience 🤔 - or preferably a solution other than giving it to Caterham to sort out!

I have reassembled the original for the time being - but now I have lost my corner weighting

cheers

Large viperblue/yellow 1.6 S/S

well since they are higher poundage they wont compress as much under the weight of the car

what we do is take all the details of the current spring and how much lower the owner wants the car to sit then a suitable length of spring is made to the correct poundage...its invariably a smaller spring required for a higher poundage, hence your problem.

if its 30mm higher, get 30mm smaller 250lb springs i guess

Edited by - 16vastra on 13 Nov 2004 17:55:16

Surely shorter springs will still give you the same problem, since you will then need to take up any slack in the system. I'm assuming your problem is related to less compression of the stronger springs.

When I fitted stronger springs at both ends of the car I ended up with it tail high. Adjustable platforms allowed this to be readjusted.

From my point of view, I was happy to settle for a slightly high ride all round, as my rural existence this made for sump longevity

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

I might be wrong, but I think either he spring length is wrong of the there is no suitable groove for the platforms for the give spring length to allow the Bilstein sufficient bump/rebound with the higher rated spring.

If Caterham supply these things - why dont they fit

Large viperblue/yellow 1.6 S/S

The 250lb/in springs will not give you a sensible ride height on an otherwise unmodified widetrack setup (including SV). The ride height can't be set right without the springs going slack at full droop.

Options are:

1. Remove spacers from piston end of shocks. (makes bump stop inoperative)

2. lock wire the springs to the platform (not preferred)

3. use helper springs to take up the slack

It is sensible to have adjustable platforms to fine tune if you don't have them already.

When I changed front springs a couple of rears ago and went to adjustable platforms at the same time I had exactly the same problem, it appears that not all the Bilsteins that are supplied have enough grooves in them to mount the spring platforms on.

I had to get the local engineering company to machine extra sets of grooves into the damper body so I could move the platform into the right place and adjust it.

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* 2005 Speed Championship - 12 Events and Growing *cool*

Does anyone have a picture of the helper spring setup because I've been toying with going to heavier springs since widetracking but also want to maintain ride height.

Car seems to scuff the sump much more now (as well as the well documented smash) so want to stiffen to see if this cures it any.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬