Click here if you are having website access problems ×

alluminuim flywheel

richard16v

*tongue* *tongue*

hello everyone this is my first post so i hope you can help.

im looking for a alluminium flywheel to fit a vauxhall 1.6 16 valve engine in a seven kit.

it has a light steel one at the moment , but to go any lighter i need a smaller clutch,

and i don't want to do that.

any help welcome

thanks

richard *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Don't think I've ever heard of an ali flywheel in a road car. Get a steel flywheel and twin plate 5.25" cluych unit for best results. However it'a a bit drastic unless your pushing 250+ bhp.The steel flywheel is only there to mount the pressure plate and ring gear.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

fidenza i take it. they have a load of applications, but arent worth the money really. i will have a look in the book when i get back to work monday, but i havent seen a x16xe flywheel.

to be honest i would just get a slotted steel flywheel and use a 7.25" clutch, even tho you dont want to, its the way to go!

i do 3kg ones for the 20xe, they are quite nice and if you manage to get a 2nd hand clutch setup you will end up paying around the same as the fidenza, but have a much better setup overall.

My Caterham has a Fidanza Ali flywheel in it.

Ring gear and friction surface is steel.

Weighs 3.5KG

Standard flywheel was 12KG

Engine is 2.0 YB Cos Turbo.

When you say "aren't worth the money really", i would be cautious cutting the corner too much on a lightened flywheel, as a failure might cost you more than a rebuild..

It looked so well made i didn't want to fit it but hang it over the mantle......

they do look lovely, but is it 1 piece alloy?

this must inherit stress differences surely with the different materials used

the steel slotted flys are at least 1 piece

if i am wrong correct me cos i havent actually held a fidanza fly, only seen pics of mates ones

Well,if the original flywheel weighed 12kg, and the aluminium one weighed 3.5kg, i make it an 8.5 kg saving.

Forgive me if I am being dumb, but the clutch may enable further reductions if you go the smaller route.In my scenario the clutch has nothing to do with the weight savings.

I await correction!

Richard says he has a light steel clutch, which may be down in the 5kg bracket (I don't know for sure of course). Bearing in mind an ali flywheel will have a steel clutch face insert and a steel ring gear, the weight saving might be small. As a percentage of the rotational inertia, the benefit might be disappointing. My standard clutch plate weighs 3.85 kg for example.

SEP field working, not spotted in 102,900 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 21 Sept

It does have a steel ring gear and clutch face insert.It still weighs 3.5 kg with the ring gear and steel face.It is still less than the 12kg standard flywheel.It's still 8.5 kg less than the standard set up.It's still not as light as a smaller clutch/steel wheel set up.But it makes a hell of a difference to my YB

Again, if i am missing something I am open to explanation!