Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carbon side-screens

Marius

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting very confused as to the metrics that are being claimed to be superior here. As we are talking about something that is easily measurable any chance of some hard numbers on any parameters that are an improvement.

'lighter' BTW is not a metric. There are however many metrics that could be used to test if your products have a lower weight for a particular function.

Likewise surface finish can be measured by any number of labs if you can come up with the parameters for your product.

This way we can have a nice table that shows the parametrics of all the products.

The other confusion I have is why motorsports customers put cosmetic finish as a critical priority. Barry boys yes, but for race cars I could only see it as an issue if you are trying to mould riblets into the bodywork for some sort of boundary layer control, and I doubt many people are that advanced outside, say Maranello.

I must be behind the times. Last time I looked CF was used primarily for high stiffness/unit mass and very good impact absorbtion (if laid-up correctly in both cases). must catch up with everyone else

Bill

Bill:

You'd be surprised about the cosmetic bit. A few years ago, Lola found that they could sell more Indy-Cars (to professional teams who should have known better) if they made their carbon bits look blacker. The comissioned a special resin from Cytec called 919-LB which was the very common 919 resin with a black pigment added - hence the suffix - Lola Black. The resin is still used a lot in motorsport because, not having aerospace type approval, it is a bit cheaper than standard 919.

Paul

Bill, you've been told before on this forum for talking like an engineer. If you continue to adopt this approach then logic and reason will prevail over emotive slanging matches, and that would never do. I and many other users of this forum will not tolerate such rationality with regard to composite manufacture or any other subject and I must ask you to stop it immediately. Please confine all future communications to vague, unsubstantiated claims and slagging off of competitors, in the original spirit of TechTalk.

*wink*

Regards

Battered

(serious mode) Paul, interesting re Lola. Even engineers buy shiny stuff! (/serious mode)

*confused*

Ok, so you comment on your new business on a public forum and then start a verbal battle with your competitors, but after they start to get the upper hand you delete all your posts?

Everyone knows Arnie likes to be in the spot light, but I think its time to step into the shadows if you want people on this forum (and customers) to start to respect you again...

LeMans 2004 pics here

Seven related chat here

maybe I should market a new half door - bi-axial lignin cellulose composite (with additional glue), available in grades from 'marine' to 'balsa' with optional varnish finish (for those who are concerned about looks & longevity) - half door without extra elbow space will be simplest to manufacture and offer least air resistance. Intend to manufacture a 'marine' grade version as a 'washboard'/door for my boat this afternoon to familiarise myself with the production method. I note that caterham have used a similar composite in the past to add stiffness to their bench seats.

Edited by - robbieclark on 29 Sep 2004 10:32:13

Don't Caterham still use the "bi-axial lignin cellulose composite" (aka plywood) material for part of the boot floor?

IIRC I was told (by the then boss of Caterham Midlands) that this was an essential part for crash protection. Can't quite see how as the plank was only held in by 3 self tappers. *confused*

Not entirely unfair comment, although unfair to drag me into this debate which I've managed to keep out of until page 8 (apart from an early show of appreciation for the sidescreens).

I like CF. It's more resilient than paint or fibreglass. I am only interested in it being strong enough to hold its shape in 140mph winds (don't need anything structural) and looking like new after a wash. Light is nice, but given the small amount of it used in the Se7en construction, it's bordering on irrelevant given that the driver is a fat knacker. I like that it is a talking point to show relatives how light CF can be rather than a boast about how much it has lightened the car. And I also like that I have benefitted from some rather good deals in my purchases of it from one manufacturer only (so far).

Now, if you can make CF wheel rims to suit Barnby centres (or better looking ones), seats that fit better around the back (Tillet uprights are too narrow for me), headlamps (I'm saving for a pair of Henk's), scuttle (talking to someone about that), inner panels (saving for a set of RiF's), bonnet (anyone solved the louvre issue yet?) and basically anything else that looks nice, is durable and priced so that I might one day be able to afford it, I'm in.

I have just received a sample from MOG Composites - thanks Joachim.

First impression is that it is a well made composite piece. I will write a fuller assesment when I get a little time. I think that there is little point in running the mechanical tests because they will have little meaning on their own.

Paul

Jesus, the guy is qualified because he's a sodding engineer (or he's using someone who is) at a certain car manufacturer based at Maranello, Italy. Now I haven't been to this place but I believe they have some pretty advanced materials testing gear there and lots of people who know a great deal about how to use it and assess the results. Of course it is possible that I may be able to get a better measure in my workshop using a vice and hammer, but I'd say that was unlikely. All things considered. Those who wish to disregard this test are of course free to do so. They can also have a bash in my garage if they think that's a better bet. *mad*FFS.