Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyreweld - you need a new tyre Sir

Tony C

Fixed a flat tyre with tyreweld - not on road, small nail in tread centre, pulled it out - pssssst.

Put in a can of Holts Tyreweld - I didn't think it'd worked so went down to local Kwikfit - "Sorry mate, can't repair it with that stuff in, you need a new tyre".

What BS is this? Is this a standard thing, or does it depend upon the tyre repair guy?

For lack of any other fix - NEEDED to go for an early blat this morning - I've now run about 150 miles and it's not leaking. I'd still prefer a permenant repair - SO, does it depend where I take it to be fixed - any experiences?

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

depending on where the puncture is Tony.

Any dealer will tell you it has to be a new tyre but they are trying to make money out of you.

Take a rag to do the cleaning up, get them to remover th tyre and then you clean it and the rim befroe they continue.

I had used this stuff in my motorbike tyre and that was repaired just fine. I offered to do all the cleaning up of the various bits...

I can understand it might be difficult to clean it up inside to make a patch stick, but it can be plugged easily from the outside. That's what we used to do...admittedly a few years ago 😳, however it might be that they only consider a permanent solution nowadays to be both a plug and a patch.

Paul

tony i thinks you're still on ZV-1's. if that's the case i've got a deal for you. i've got 5 of them; 1 brand new, 4 w 1,500 miles on them.

you can have 1 for a reasonable donation to NtL

Steve B

Big Black Beast^3 USA 2005: How the West Was Driven

Thanks Steve, but they're A021's

Mav, the nail hole is nearly centred across the tread width - I nearly said "At the bottom", but thought better of it 😬

It sounds like if I offer to clean the mess, there's no technical reason why it can't be patched ???????

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

I've heard of this before... though no personal experience..

Steve, are those Avons 14"ers? If they were 16" 204/45 I'd take the 4 worn off your hands to replace my road tyres.

ps can you post /email direction to bracknell tyres? I'll be popping up there tomorrow to have a new)ish) set of 032s put on the track wheels....

I got a phillips screw stuck through my rear tyre at Silverstone, I rang the UK Yoko tech help and they advised strongly against any repair, I contacted Polley and my local yoko dealer both were against any repair. They said the temperature generated by the tyre on track would or could cause the patch to fail and that any repair down graded the speed rating on the tyre.

At 1655 on a Saturday afternoon it was the only place I could find open 😬

I personally wouldn't retain any tyre with any sort of repair whether it's been treated with Tyreweld or not, which is really only designed to get you home rather than act as anything more permanent.

And A021's are hardly the most expensive tyres on the market. Why take the risk?

RW04FUN

1546 miles.....running in nicely 😬

Good point Rich - Oh well, two new tyres because of one tiny nail *mad*

Edited by - Tony C on 5 Sep 2004 23:35:48

While sympathising with Tony C, and carefully storing away Steve's information about surplus tyres, I was prompted to think about an excellent day yesterday, at Goodwood *biggrin*

The track is surrounded by a tyre wall, consisting of two columns, or "walls" of tyres, piled horizontally. All of the tyres in the outer "wall" (closest to the track) appeared to be new They all had lots of tread and all of the original wear indicators, and even some of the original stores markings. I can't begin to estimate how many there might be all around the circuit. Perhaps Tony C could sell his injured tyre to Lord March 😬