Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series Clutch release bearings update

I sympathise with you Franky , but maybe you should speak to Caterham Midlands who on the link thread have said they are looking for a new supplier ? .

My CRB went within the first year of ownership and it is a pain in the bum , but touch wood mine have been fine since - although replaced when the engine comes out each winter ......

I hope Caterham do fix this problem - clearly there is one as the comments on R300.net confirm yet again .

Dave

Yes, I have the same experiance as Franky. From the article in Low Flying its not the bearing that is the problem, its the way its fitted .. i.e no Pre-Load.

I have asked if the LF modification can be done to my car whilst they change the CRB - there maybe a better solution but won't say what till my fault is diagnosed. Maybe my problem is not the CRB and I have another gearbox that's eating itself alive 🙆🏻

Like many of us, I have now performed the remedial action as per the LF article and I have to say that one thing is immediately apparent; there is no noise difference between the clutch being in and out.

Previously there was a distinct low rumble when in neutral which disappeared when the clutch pedal was depressed.

I take this to mean that the pre load effect is working.

Best Regards,

Felix.

While completing my eng upgrade I took a look at the original CRB. Cars done 3500 miles (2004) VVC 6 spd. I was concerned, while in France, that the CRB was overflexing on oneside of the clips that hold it to the fork arm.... it almost appeared that at times it was releasing itself from the clip on one side of the fork arm... perhaps an illusion! My concerns were arisen by the clutch pedal at times springing back - hitting my foot sole as I rested my clutch foot above the clutch pedal.

On removal and inspection of the CRB there was excessive play in the clutch spline bearing face of the CRB... best described as "wobbly" when rotated.

Emerald Isle's 1st SV. R400 power currently under development.

Totally unrelated to this problem as it's not a K series, but I had a noisy crb as supplied by super clutch. It had done less than 3000 mils. The new one was put in a suacepan of white grease which was heated to melting point and then allowed to set. The excess was wiped off and it's done about 10,000 miles without a squeak.

norman verona

1989 BDR 220bhp

Mem No 2166

the full story here

Caterham have identified a problem with the CRB and are currently trying to source a new supplier
Good news if the factory recognise that there's a problem, but not so good if they're blaming the CRB itself. IMHO, the CRB is well up to the job provided it's set up correctly with the manufacturer's recommended amount of pre-load (see LF August 2004 for more info). Perhaps they're seeking a CRB design that doesn't require a pre-load?

there are recognised problems with the existing design
I think that's much closer to the truth, at least as far as the current CRB is concerned.

From the article in Low Flying its not the bearing that is the problem, its the way its fitted .. i.e no Pre-Load
That's it exactly.

What do I need to check to find out what type it was, who made it, etc..??
If it's the standard Sierra CRB (Caterham P/N AB57), it'll have "INA F202994" inscribed on the edge of the metal bearing housing.

Btw, in their comment on my LF article, CC said "We have a number of design revisions fitted to development cars currently on trial." That sounds promising, and I've suggested to Tony Pashley that maybe he could get CC to elaborate on this in a future issue.

JV

Edited by - John Vine on 24 Aug 2004 12:28:50

Nowt wrong with the CRB itself *eek*. I don't recall legions of Sierras on re-call after 3000 miles *tongue*.

Also, just to throw another unknown into the pot, all us VX and X flow afficionados seem to manage quite well with the same CRB...and I don't remember ever deliberately pre-loading the bearing, unless it just happens that the clutch fork configuration and clutch cable correctly adjusted achieves that anyway *confused*

The K doesn't use a different set-up, does it?

Paul

Edited by - Paul McKenzie on 24 Aug 2004 13:00:49

FWIW my car is a 99 and had exactly this problem at 5000miles. I had it all replaced by Ratrace who told me that since my car was made a new design (' new cone ' ??) had been introduced which should cure the problem......

Im afraid Im a complete no hoper mechanical wise so I dont know whether this is true or not nor exactly what it means. My clutch is fine now although I still get a general 'rattle' noise when the car is idling in neutral, it dissapears when the clutch is depressed.

I was hoping they had fixed the problem once and for all but reading the above posts sounds like I might get the same problem again....

• Leadership Team

The rattling at idle is the lay shaft in the gearbox, not related to the CRB. Rattling is worse if using a l/w flywheel, and does get progressively worse with mileage.

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Angus - the rattling is caused by small changes in the rpm of the layshaft, ie. causing the gears/shaft etc to rattle. A flywheel is there to maintain a revolving speed - more effective if heavy thereby not giving too many noticeable rattles. Reduce the mass of the flywheel and the rpm will not be quite as constant, therefore increasing the noise.

I have always assumed that any increase in noise will in time relate to an increase in wear, but somebody else would need to substantiate this?

You've probably noticed that a small increase in revs will reduce the rattling due to the speed variation being reduced?

Stu.