Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pace dry sump system - K Series

martinwhitcher

As a safety measure for my new DVA K series engine (should be going in next weekend!) I decided to purchase the Pace dry sump system (same as mick smiths original) after 3 calls to the relevant companies who were supplying the parts (Pace for dry sump kit, Think automotive for the hoses and filter housing & Laminova (sp?), Brise for the tank) all the parts arrived on time *thumbup*, time for fitting *eek*........

Last saturday morning I started the installation with the aid of micks installation guide *cool*

here

One thing I must say is how well engineered the system is! *thumbup*

everything seemed to go together just how it should do, I had one hiccup over the weekend, the Brise tank only had 1 input rather than 2 which I required, quick call to tim on monday, tank arrived tuesday converted and back delivered by 8am wed WOW customer service and no extra cost! apparantly there are several options for the tank, so let them know what you require!

Finished assembling the system last night, I'm very very pleased with the way everything has worked out, Neil (pace) was a very helpful person who encouraged feedback, just to mention he said he was looking for a couple of volenteers who requires dry sumping to the K series. go on guys you know you want to *tongue*

Oh and how does it perform? ............... the engine seems to gain revs quicker, the oil temp and pressure are rock solid, something you don't get with wet sump!

Go-on do it, you know it make sense!!

Martin

MW 51 CAT

Superlight No.171

Hi Martin,

Was the engine still in the car when you fitted the Pace kit? How would you rate the job in terms of difficulty? I've been humming and hawing about fitting a dry sump since my new engine went in. I'm mostly put off by how long I think the car is going to have to be off the road (since I will need to beg friends for assistance and therefore both mine and their free time to sync up).

Cheery,

Jason.

I've almost finished fitting mine with the engine in situ.

Not difficult - mind you, it is an SV.

I put the car on axle stands at the highest setting which gives ample room to access most areas from below.

I've got DTH TB's and an airbox and haven't needed to remove either for pump access/fitting.

The old pump removal / disabling was probably the "biggest" job, but went fine. One tip - put it in sixth gear to stop the crank rotating, but don't put in the cam holding tool while removing the pulley bolt. Believe it or not, the cam belt slipped on the pulley. No big deal removing the bolt, but it did it when tightening too *eek* There's a surprising amount of backlash in the engine/gearbox/final drive assembly.

Deciding on the appropriate hose fittings was a chore, but figured it out in the end -there are several clearance issues. (Brise in front of engine tank) I needed two straight, one 45 degree, two ninety degree, one 120 degree and one 150 degree. Another tip - specify JIC pump flange fittings, rather than BSP. I went with push-on hose and connectors and the steel BSP hose fittings are a bit chunky - go with aluminium JIC, they're smaller.

Nearly ready to fire it up 😬

Neil at Pace and Mathew at Think are top blokes *thumbup* and are VERY helpful 😬 Mick Smith's instructions are also VERY good.

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Tony,

approx cost were as follows:

Pace dry sump kit £1000

Brise tank £270

Think pipes and laminova £450ish

This uses very good spec hoses as per mick smiths system, it is possible to go for a cheaper option and also not go for the laminova.

cheaper than CC and better system using a triple stage pump, 2no scavenge stages with 1no pressure stage.

Martin

MW 51 CAT

Superlight No.171

Agree with all that has been said I did my conversion at same time as Mick. Ithink he and I where the first two Pace systems it is a very easy job all the parts from 3 suppliers, who know from experience exactly what you need, a weekend fit and a very very happy engine. Make sure you get the Laminova as well. In seven years of owning a se7en I have never been as confident with my engine or seen such stability of temps and pressure. 😬 *cool* *biggrin* *smile* *wink* *thumbup*

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

Se7en Services.N.I.

Caterham Service Agents.

Thanks so far. It sounds like it might indeed be doable over a weekend (with suitable help).

I don't like some of the things I've heard about the Brise tank, and its position in front of the engine. So I'm considering shortening the passenger footwell and putting a Pace tank there. Any comments?

Can't comment unless you elaborate and what have you heard and was it from someone who has seen the job or fitted one there Be very carefull listening to doom merchants who have little or no experience of a particular installation. OTOH if you have genuine concerns tell us and allow us to comment

Mick and I the pioneers if you like both have the Brise tank in front of the engine and have had the insall longer and for more miles than anyone else

so ask away. *cool*

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

Se7en Services.N.I.

Caterham Service Agents.

I'm not being cagey; just can't clearly remember. I think it was something along the lines of occasional problems with low(er than normal) oil pressure, and the oil being over-cooled due to the tank being right up front.

You're going to tell me that's all crap aren't you *tongue*

Being directly behind the radiator might give an oil temp lower than desired - it needs to be between 80 and 110 deg C. All that needs to be done is a bit of lagging.

The Pace pump has a screw for adjusting the oil pressure. This is set by you anyway.

The ideal installation needs to keep pipe runs as short as possible - the in front of the engine position does this, whereas the pax footwell installation gives longer pipe runs. AND where are you going to put the battery 😬

As Johnty says - beware of bo**ox *thumbup*

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Strangely, that's where the Pace dry sump tank on the 7 I drive is positioned - who cares about the passenger footwell being shorter...except the passenger I guess 😬. Battery sits in standard position on the passenger side of the engine bay BTW.

Johnty, I think the 7 I now drive was the first car to be equipped with the Pace dry sump system - a lot of faffing about and remachining was required, I believe, but works a treat now.

I fitted one of the early kits too

I decided to change the cooling/heating pipe to the laminova to the pressure pipe and this helps heat the oil much faster. I have no insulation on the Brise tank and it runs at water temperature except when pressing on when it'll go to 90 or so. I also fitted a condenser to the catch tank breather to reduce the heavy breathing that I had initially. It's been in now since February 2003 and has ran faultlessly since then, even when the alternator belt decided to exit. It's really good kit.

Lawrence

I run with one wrap of insulation round the tank which is in front of the engine, certainly the laminova helps the oil heat up quicker but more importantly prevents it getting to hot no matter how hard i paste it the oil only ever runs at water temp. Pressure as has been said is adjustable, in fact mine came cranked right up, fortunatley i spotted it on cranking and was able to back it way off before she fired and blew the shells out :-))

I run SPA digital guages and am very happy with the info i now get.

The car as mapped by DW was producing 198BHP on his rollers and still sings like a bird uses very little oil and gives lots of pleasure with no worries.

jj

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

Se7en Services.N.I.

Caterham Service Agents.

Just finished connecting the last pipe.

Filled the tank - no leaks 😬

Dry-cycled it on the starter to get oil pressure - 55-60psi 😬

Wasn't going to start it because it's still on axle stands, but couldn't resist - ran OK 😬

Oil pressure stayed at 55-60psi, scavenge return to tank squirting - still no leaks 😬

Didn't run it more than a couple of minutes - garage filling with exhaust fumes *thumbdown*

Once I've 'P' clipped all the pipes, found a home for the horns and fastened the coolant expansion bottle I'll wheel it out and warm it up - tomorrow 😬

Pace dry sump kit an excellent piece of kit 😬