Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow Engine Rebuild

Casbar

I know its a very subjective thing, but I'm looking at having my xflow re-built. I will go and see Roger King, but I also want to know of any other contenders. To that end, has anyone had any experiences with Steve Parker Racing.

Robert

Robert, Steve Parker built my 1700 X-flow to (?) 170bhp and it has been back to him for a service since. Great bloke, great engine and a high standard of work and of cours that loving care and attention that our se7ens deserve.

PS Don't be put off by the garage that he works out of!!

Steve has built two engines for me over the last ten years, neither of which has gone wrong. He is good at cross-flows and BD's. He operates out of modest premises on parsonage farm estate in Stansted Essex. Turn down by the school and then left immediately after the sharp right bend, go through the gates down the drive go past the farm and there are numerous sheds scattered over about 2 acres. He operates out of one of these. From what I recall prices are comparable with RK. He looks after various Caterham race cars for people. He knows most of the tricks to make Sevens go faster as well.

I have had engines built by both Rob and Roger and cant recomend them highly enough. Roger is probably the Xflow king although the Vegantune Rob built me is fantastic. I have had mixed reports from people with SP engines but have no first hand experience.

Small Boy - with Big Toy!

See Eugene here

• 2 weeks later...
I have been using SPR for the past 3 years. He has built my 1700 x/flow (168bhp) plus numerous other "tweeks".. I personally have had NO problems with him at all.. Steve certainly seems to know all there is to know about sevens etc... Bacardi and Embassy's help too :-) (Sorry Steve!!)... I think the same applies for *all* engine builders... ensure you establish a "price-limit" before entering into serious engine work otherwise you will end up with a rather large bill....

Buy the Haynes Manual forthe Ford Kent engine and do the job yourself - the Xflow is a lovely simple engine to work on, and the book makes it very clear what to do, with loads of excellent advice, plus even more advice available on this website.

Dave H

• 5 weeks later...
A bit late to join this thread I know, but I'm thinking of an X-Flow rebuild over the coming winter, but have no idea of what to expect in the way of costs. I know it's a bit like the length of a piece of string etc, but can anyone give some feel for costs based on what they've had done/who they've used? No doubt final costs are always much higher than expected, but some benchmarks would be helpful. Alternative is a change to a Zetec, but all the costs I've seen for this indicate £4K plus; not worth it in my view on an old 4 speed live axle chassis.

Ralph,

You pay for what you get in parts and add the engine builder`s profit.That profit should reflect time and to some extent reputation.Only you can decide whether it represents value.

Phone some of the ghurus eg R.King,who is very wise, and ask what bits you will get for your spec..Price these bits up in say a Burton advert,and get a feel for the value that this expert puts on his time.With the likes of RK, most people feel it is a fair aasessment of his worth.

Beware some unknowns,charging you less.Unless you are lucky,you will get less.

With no head work, I am looking at bits to come to around £1000.00

My engine has already had quite a bit of work done on it, when it went from 1600 to 1660 unleaded, a couple of years ago.

If you then put on labour charges, you are looking around £2500. Nobody will give you a solid quote, before the engine is stripped. The £2500 price will also mean you taking the engine out yourself.

If you do the work yourself you obviously save on labour. If your going to get someone to do the work, make sure you speak to others that have used the person. If you email me, I can give you my thoughts

Robert

When I had my X-flow rebuilt and overbored to 1700 it cost me about £1300 all up. That included new cam, pistons and a stage 3 unleaded head. It ended up putting out over 155bhp although he wouldn't make me any promises before he started other than "more than 135bhp"

Been using the same guy for 15 years. Doesn't advertise because he doesn't need to. All work through word of mouth.

Last time I visited him he had a big pile of K- series heads that he was doing for a certain east Kent outfit.

I'll happily pass his name on if anyone wants it.