Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Audi TT engine - Anyone know anything about it?

V7 SLR

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point at the moment is that this ought to be self funding. I'm ignoring anything negative because I hear detrators all the time. Not interested. I *have* found a lot of positive people so far, and indications are that it need not cost much, if anything, more than the proceeds I would aim to get back from V7's VHPD engine. Remember I'll sell V7's engine complete with dry sump, bellhousing, exhaust, starter motor, etc etc etc EVERYTHING attached to it, probably including engine mounts.

Probably keep the Emerald. Bernard suggests this is a god idea.

If the S3 uses the engine longitudinally then this is good for me because there ought to be a suitable sump pan available, unless the engine sits inside the gearbox. I wonder whether someone like PACE can chop the sump pan down to suit a dry sump application?

Aside from which side the exhaust exits, I probably need a reskin anyway. Even if the exhaust exits where my current one does, the hole will likely be in the wrong place, and is certainly the wrong shape. The driver's side needs tidying up anyway. If I can get away with cosmetic changes there I shall.

Issues like these and the complexity of them will ultimately determine whether I go for it or sell the whole car and buy an XTR4.

Does it fit? It ought to. It fits into the Elise engine bay where once a K sat. It may be too tall. It's possible. Trying to find someone with one around here to measure up at the mo. Brother thinks his friend has an S3 (useful) so am trying to tie him down to a time over the weekend.

Starter motor? Hoping to use the one that comes with the engine.

Exhaust? Anyone can make one. There's over a dozen in the archives here. I want to buy everything to do with the engine, so this will include all connections to and including the turbo. just need an exit pipe from there... and maybe a silencer. I've seen a nice turbod Westy on the Boardroom which has its exhaust just exit the bodywork and then stop. Looks fab.

Fitting cooling system, turbo and intercoolers into engine bay... blah blah blah... If you want it, you'll do it. It wouldn't be the first turbod Se7en so why should it be any more difficult to locate these things than any of the previous ones?

Still keen...

I know you aren't listening to detractors but...

The Duratec is being used by several kit manufacturers including Westfield and Quantum. There are probably half a dozen if not more using it if you trawl through totalkitcar.com. The Audi engine is mainly being used by people who stick it in the middle a la Westfield. I know Doonkervoort stick it at the front but then they are quite a lot bigger than a seven. They are heavier 50KG is probably about right and that is 50 KG right in the wrong place.

Lastly I know the main criticism thrown at this engine is it is utterly souless and has a pretty boring sound. The main reason Wonkfield are using it is the fact that it is quiet becase their XR2's kept failing noise tests.

Interesting project but I am sure that a Duratec would be a far more viable option with many more off the shelf parts and wealth of experience in slotting them in already.

Nige ,

I wasnt being negative , just simply asking some serious basic questions . I love your enthusiasm - and wish you luck .

If you havent even measured up yet , I think you are getting ahead of yourself *smile* the height and width with the alternator and turbo could be a problem . And you confirm you havent even looked at which side the exhaust exits ?? (same as a K ) .

Do you consider the engine / bellhousing / clutch / starter / input shaft senario as being tricky ?

Dave

Strikes me that if I can overcome the basic measurements, then there are enough people who have experience with the actual engine to let them take over. It's been done in the kind of application I want (Donkervoort and Westfield once) so it's possible, but I don't know what I need to chop or change yet. Am sort of optimistically hoping I won't need to.

Got to do something. So bored with the current crop of engines.

So when is Coxy getting (or more likely knowing Peter - "building") a V8 for his fatboy SV? If he's heard about your turbo plans he's bound to be working on 300+bhp as we speak... *tongue*

To be honest, Nige, after 5 years of turbo-terrific Scooby ownership I'd say turbos are ****e in terms of driver satisfaction. Yeah, you get bulk herbs from limited cc's, but the price is dreadful throttle response. You have to plant the throttle at some indeterminate point before the apex and pray you can catch whatever happens next.

If you want an off-the wall lump, how about the ****el from the last RX7? 280bhp twin turbo, and very compact. Alternatively I remember seeing a Westfield at Stoneleigh one year with a 455 cubic inch Plymouth engine fitted. Ain't no replacement for displacement!

Edited to say: Hmmm, the profanity filter won't let me say ****el, so please substitute "Rotary".

Edited by - Mike Molloy on 6 Jul 2004 16:41:38

Looked at the rotary previously... still a possibility.

Turbos only lag if there's lag. A lot of it can be mapped out. Remember I'm not a trackday warrior very often, so I want all my power for the road.

Am curently working out whether I can afford to sell the whole car and replace it with an XTR4. Replacing the engine is my second-option.

IF you aren't that much of a trackday warrior why the XTR4? I don't know too much about them as I haven't driven one and I haven't seen a mag test where it has lasted long enough to get meaninful results. Surely a seven type car is always going to be more rewarding to drive on the road?

• Leadership Team

Nigel,

Why not go back a stage. With all the experience Peter Cox has in building his new engine for the SV, why not investigate doing the Scholar mod to the block, and in doing so push up the capacity to nearer 2 litres - bigger sleeves, long throw steel crank, alternative pistons, etc etc. Caterham have called their version of it the R500 Evolution and by all accounts appears to be a fairly well sorted car. The level of investment you're going to need to do a conversion such as the Audi unit, will go a long way in creating a R500 Evo..esque rocket. Remember that on selling your engine, even if you get a good price, it's still a fraction of theinvestment you've already put in 🤔 When the cars already a success, why not develop the theme?

Stu.

Crikey guys... just because I want to move away from the established Se7en format?

*arrowright*Don't want a K any more.

*arrowright*Don't want N/A any more.

*arrowright*Fancy a full-on race car for the road. Why not? I still attend occasional trackdays but only a couple per year now.

*arrowright*Want something different.

So if I can't sell V7 and afford an XTR4, I'll change V7 around a bit. I may change it again sometime later.

Hell, my other option was to go "soft" and buy a Lotus Elan +2... I may still replace the road car with one. 😬

The TT/S3 engine is transverse, in a 7 the exhaust would be on the offside and air intake on the nearside. Talk to Jabba Sport about conversions, they have made the 150bhp Golf version run at 350bhp quite happily with different exhaust manifold and turbo, they said the crank is OK for 370bhp but the gearboxes are suspect at that power but as you'll not be using the gearbox won't matter. The std exhaust manifold is very restrictive.

Right, I've found what is described as a good engine. A 225bhp Audi TT one, complete with all ancilliaries including turbo, alternator and I think the starter motor.

Chap is measuring it up for me this weekend. If it checks out size-wise, I'll be going to have a look at it.

Interesting site. Thanks. Pity I didn't work harder at German whilst still at school. Do you think if I contact them in English, they'd respond? It would be nice to have a proper bellhousing rather than a bodge job.

Just thought... doesn't the MT75 come with an integral bellhousing anyway, which means they've probably adapted the engine-side of the bellhousing to fit the engine. If so, it won't do what I want it to. ☹️

Well, the chap supposedly selling that engine couldn't be arsed to measure it up for me, and as it's in Kent, I can't be arsed to go through with the sale.

So, I'm looking for a complete TT/S3 spec engine. No ECU or loom, but complete induction and exhaust up to and including the turbo.

I have cash waiting. I'd prefer somewhere closer to the Midlands, but to be honest, just someone willing to talk about the engine so I don't get that dodgy feeling.

What do I need to verify when buying an engine? Is there a DVLA check to see if it's been stolen/rung from a stolen car?

Nigel,

I asked the BiB about engine identity. They basically said they couldn't tell if the engine was from a stolen vehicle unless I knew the original vehicles registration number. Surprisingly the vender of said engine couldn't provide that info 😳

BiB were no use whatsover and couldn't help. If the engine was stolen they didn't care and had no way of telling *mad*

Justin *cool*

A closed mouth gathers no foot.