Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

power converstions-CV and Kw?

RiF

Need to know how to calculate CV din and Kw for my Caterham as I am completing the import forms to import into France.

Any ideas on the relationship to UK cc and bhp?

Engine is: 1998cc, 226bhp and max torque 176ft/lb at flywheel or 185bhp and max torque 144ft/lb at wheels.

Thanks

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Brilliant, thanks Steve and Conorkaby 😬Web page very useful.

Next question?????? Is it based on flywheel or wheel hp?

And Steve do you know how to calculate fiscal CV too (just out of interest)

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Richard, I don't know how the puissance fiscal works but it's related to power, weight, engine type and efficiency. The 7 scores well for weight but badly for power/efficiency. Some of the modern low emissions HDi diesels have very low PF, how much of this is down to manufacturers doing the sums and fudging the figures a bit I don't know.

Peter, is your remark related to the fact that the apparent torque at the wheels will vary according to the gear used?

Figures I have are 144ft/lb max at 6000rpm from Webber Alpha when they did the mapping of the ECU to work with the Duratec engine. Why not??? R500 is 122ft/lb at 7250rpm on Jason Krebbs car and we all know the Duratec has more torque????

Thanks Steve, we must get together soon.

Richard in France

Now if Memory serves.. DIN stands for Deutschland Invented Number??

Which is 15% less than SAE HP.

As in 115DIN is actually 100Sae Hp.. while Japanese (JIS) hp is another 'not quite right" HP quotation :-0

All looks Good inna 'Brochure Babble' tho.

Peter, is your remark related to the fact that the apparent torque at the wheels will vary according to the gear used?

Yup. That'll be it.

"144lbft at the wheels" actually means: "the torque we measured at the rollers multiplied by the roller speed and divided by the engine speed". The value that pops out of this fiddle is in the units of torque, but there is no such torque present anywhere in the drivetrain. It is a nonsense.