Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VHPD Drivability kit

Jon.B

I'd say living in Herts you're ideally placed for the two best places if you decide to follow this route Dave - they're Milton Keynes and Norfolk!

If you do a search in TechTalk and set the time period to 'from the beginning' you'll get masses of info on people that have gone through the Emerald route.

To find out more about Emerald, try their website here

and to find out how it relates to your engine (in fact to find out more about your engine full stop) try DVAPower here: here

They're probably the two best places to look.

All the best

Darren E

K80RUM

Gav, I thought DVA was booked up? Did you manage to get in somewhere else to fit an Emerald, or did you just plug it all in yerself, and run one of the chaps here's maps.

I'm as green as the next man, and wondered how easy an ECU swop was. I mean, could I buy a second hand programmable Emerald from ebay or smthng, then stick it on the Seven running one of V7's maps for example? (I have swan neck TBs)

Thanks guys.

Chris.

Darren E / Gareth

Cheers for the info Ill check my paperwork from minister re what ECU its running at present and give DVA/Emerald a call.

I have to admit my engine runs perfectly well at present but i come from the 'lets spend some cash and make it even better' school of thought rather than the 'its not broke, dont fix it' one!

Dave

No worries Dave *thumbup*

Incase the paperwork doesn't mention it (it may not) just have a look at the ECU itself -it's a silver box about 9"x9" sitting next to the battery.

If it's the rover one, it'll look like the one in the "battery" and "new Engine loom" pics in the 'Evolution' section of my site

here

and will more than likely have a Rover label on the side with a barcode.

Chris: This is exactly what I'm doing. it should be a simple swap and setup as you described, I believe - so long as you have a close map. But it would be well worth getting the car mapped properly and a pair of verniers added to get the most out of your new investment.

PS - Good luck with finding a 2nd-hand one. Sacha was selling one and he wanted pretty much the Emerald price less VAT. He may still have it. Otherwise they're gonna be scarcer than rocking-horse poo *wink*

Darren E

K80RUM

Edited by - k80rum on 28 May 2004 14:24:49

Chris.

I had it couriered to Ratrace in Barnet (which is 10mins from my house) and they fitted it. Emerald sent me the map from an SLR that read 198bhp at 8000 rpm on the rolling road! It drives like a dream, but doesn't start too well from cold. I will get emerald to map it properly.

gav

Superlight R #41

Edited by - gavinp on 28 May 2004 19:14:12

just checked my car and the ECU states its an 'mbe' (written in lower case one part number 72906. Whoever fitted it has written "road" on it in felt tip (im presumuing this must be the mpping, presumably they have a different map for race or something....

so anyone any experience of these ECUs? how would it compare to the Emerald?

Basically the mbe does the same as the Emerald but the people who know and understand the mbe aren't the same people who know and understand the mbe. Also the software and programming cable for the mbe is somewhat more complex and possibly less readily available. I may be talking bulls on that last one though... I'm an emerald convert so I know where to go to get what I need for that.

Emerald have a more "open source" type attitude. Whilst that's not strictly true (you can't get at the source) they are constantly modifying the features and offer them either for free (an email) or at a very reasonable rate.

An mbe ought to do everything you want though. You can even download their easymap software for free to have a look at it. Looks very good.

I am not a maping expert, but I know a man (Steve Crandall) who is. You can remap the MBE if you want, and it is an easy conversion to connect to a computer (it took Steve less than half an hour with mine. I don't know if the Emerald is better, but I do know that if mapped properly, the MBE will give very good results.

so jon, after this mornings blat where you i think were a bit slow off the mark, when will the emerald be on order 🤔 i'll happily come around with my laptop and some maps *wink*

Steve B

Big Black Beast^3 SV VHPD

USA 2005: How the West Was Driven

"so jon, after this mornings blat where you i think were a bit slow off the mark"

Cheeky so and so! I was just keeping good space between the cars...

It was a good run this morning, good to see you all.

"when will the emerald be on order"

Very soon I think!