Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VHPD Drivability kit

Jon.B

Is anyone local to me (Buckinghamshire) who has had this kit installed by Dave Andrews to their VHPD engine, that wouldn't mind giving up a bit of their time to take me out for a drive in their car? I have an SLR which has the standard ECU and am considering going down the route of this kit, but first want to ensure that the difference is really as great as I have read in other Blatchat posts.

Thanks

Jon

Hi Jon B,

I have not had this upgrade myself but know a man who has, but he lives near Maidstone. he had the SLR for about 3 years when he had the upgrade done recently. It was the last resort for him, as

he was feed up with the poor low rev running and was thinking of selling the car and downgrading to something like a R300/R400. Comments he has made since, are that the cars is now as he thought it should have been originally. He is very pleased with it. he has kept the original ECU in the car and pigy backed the new Emerald one on top. So if he does ever have a ECU problem he can just plug the old one in again.

If you want to talk to him I can arrange it.

I hope this helps a little.

Les

Search out Julian Thomson (or Ken Evans who now owns the car) and mail him. I understand he had the same and ended up with 209?bhp and MUCH better drivability/road manners.

I would recommend any DVA work as a satisfied customer.

Tom

jon, as you're in bucks, that's near Penn, home of Penn 7's on the last saturday of the month. my VHPD has been modified, and emeralded. modifications to exhaust system, and a reaming of the TB's to eliminate poor finishing/bumps have pushed a reasonably fast engine into a very fast and drivable engine.

call around penn 7's next saturday if you want a ride the map to Penn is here

Steve B

Big Black Beast^3 SV VHPD

USA 2005: How the West Was Driven

Jon,

Good to talk with you over the weekend. As we discussed I believe the problems are largely down to 3 areas:

1. ECU. The MEMS as implemented in the SLR is poor. The mapping is not right and the reliance on a MAP sensor inside the main body of the ECU is silly. Despite more learned opinions than my own that a MAP sensor is a good idea, in this implementation it is not and causes more trouble than it is worth. In addition you will have found that when changing gear the revs hold at the high revs for a fraction of a second linger than you want. This is because the programming is to burn off unused fuel... emissions... yuk. The Emerald is a simpler item altogether, relying only on throttle position and revs rather than air speed/mass and lambda. Now those other items can certainly help, and when you do get an Emerald Bill S will assist you in sorting out the last 5% of your mapping with a proper wideband lambda, but for getting the car running well enough (and by that I mean several leagues better than now) the straight and simple Emerald installation will do.

2. The catalyser. On my way home from my recent MoT I accelerated down the slip road onto the M5. The car hessitated at 4000rpm quite seriously, to the point where I felt my cam belt may have slipped. It wouldn't push through this barrier without a significant amount more throttle. Once I reached hom and removed my MoT cat for the 4-2-1 pipe again I was amazed at how well the car drove. The cat may be restrictive, although I believe that it probably isn't, but it is most certainly the wrong combination for the SLR engine which needs a 4-2-1 rather than a 4-1 which the cat is.

3. Verniers. I had mine fitted and the Emerald tweeked on the same day. The engine felt more responsive and the pick-up was electric. Cheap upgrade which lets the VHPD engine work the way it always should have.

As a package is changes, you'll probably not see much change out of £1000 (if any) but it will turn your car into the monster it always should have been. You could actually try an Emerald on your own car without too much effort. You wouldn't really need to borrow anyone elses. Verniers are a little harder to justify "loaning" but the exhaust is a simple swap too. If you're up in the Midlands, let me know and we could have a weekend day playing.

Jon if you call around saturday to Penn 7's i can put mine on your long enough for you to go and have a quick drive to test perhaps....might cost you a pint o orange juice and tonic water though *wink*

Steve B

Guys - many thanks to you all for your input here.

I have very kindly been offered some rides/drives and have e mailed you all separately to try and arrange suitable time/date(Steve B - did you get my e mail I sent on monday?).

Nigel - I think I will be concentrating on the 3 areas you suggest, and your feedback concurs with all the other guys who have inputted on this thread. Already in touch with Caterham about the 4-2-1 pipe to replace the Cat as a first upgrade.

Needless to say, you all agree that the combination of emerald + verniers + suitable map transforms the standard SLR, now all I need to do is convince the wife that I need to spend the money! I'm working on that...

Thanks

Jon *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

☹️ didn't get any email from you Jon, but will be at Penn 7s saturday, i've got a black SV with a red interior...just ask around i'll be there from 1200 ish... *thumbup*

Steve B

Jon, GavinP has been writing recently of his problems with emissions using a standard MEMS on an SLR. Seems he too has come to the conclusion (having been beaten verbally - in a nice way - by the other SLR owners) that he ought to upgrade to emerald too.

Then there's ChrisW who is experiencing other problems with his SLR... I've led him down the same path. God, I hope I'm right. 😬

So Gavin, that's another thumbs up *thumbup* to the emerald then. Has it transformed the running of your SLR?

Steve B - thanks for your offer to meet up at Penn, I should be there so will look out for you. Do you want ice with the orange juice?

Looks like I'll be calling Dave Andrews soon!

Jon

I didn't quite believe it would, and that is why I had it down for an xmas time upgrade, but now having been forced into it by the MOT problems it drives completely differently. I actually didn't use to enjoy 'slow' town driving but now that is transformed. The drop down through the gears is now so smooth I thought the clutch was slipping to begin with.

Throttle response is excellent and the engine generally sounds happier. I am running the '198bhp at 8000rpm' slr map at present.

Superlight R #41

Considering the numbers, I could never really understand why Caterham didn't commission Emerald to supply ECU's for all the SLR's. Everyone I've spoken to that's gone from MEMS to Emerald have been entirely delighted by the changes, claiming that this is how the car should have been all along.

Gav, is that one of my maps or Ali's?

I would have expected them to be similar to be honest, although I can't remember whether Ali is on the original swan necked manifold or the newer PTP bananas. There's a little difference in distance of the injector from the valve and quite a lot of difference in the throttle plate distance from the valve (less in the PTP TB's).

My maps were with the swans.

Despite having had loads of work on mine, I actually think the VHPD works well as standard with Emerald and verniers. If I were to start again, I might leave it at that. The cams are less aggressive that those I've got now, so you can expect greater reliability over time... or less requirement for servicing (valve springs will weaken in mine I guess, forcing a replacement eventually).

It certainly is Dave. it's almost definitely running the Caterham/Rover MEMs engine mangement system - it's exactly the setup that's being discussed.

HTH

Darren E

K80RUM

Edited by - k80rum on 28 May 2004 13:37:17