Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-Series engine numbers

Strangely

I was under the impression that the Rover engine number was removed when Caterham modified the block for the LH starter motor mounting. Caterham then stamped their own number on the upper surface of the bearing ladder where it protrudes from under the block mating face on the exhaust side. My engine number is the same as my kit number (1994 car)which reflects the chassis number.

Mick

The engine number is in 2 places I think, on the block and on the bearing ladder (?).

The links above have documentation that includes the Rover service manuals and they have the positions of the engine numbers IIRC.

Andy

EDIT - Sorry, I should read all the posts properly before adding - someone has already said this.

Edited by - mahatma on 12 Dec 2003 16:03:23

that happened to me. Bought a 1.8 and it turned out to be a 1.6. But it had sat in the garage for 8 months before I realised. I sold it on as a 1.6.

It had me confused for a while too because I had assumed the 1.8 needed a spigot bearing. The crank on this engine looked like the hole was too small to take the spigot bearing. I lost interest in the engine in the end because I envisioned having to remove the crank to have the hole machined to take the spigot bearing. more hassle than I could be bothered with.

I'll be very careful buying K series engines in the future.