Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Damp Garage probs!!!

inspector71

Not technically a problem with a caterham but just as important.

I have just had a detached single skinned garage built to house my C7 but have found a problem which needs to be solved ASAP.

The garage seems to be very damp; the inside of the pitched roof is constantly dripping with water. I have checked for leaks in the roof but found nothing. The concrete base was installed with a damp proof membrane as has the single skinned brick walls.

I open the garage doors at every opportunity to get some air flowing round it but still it persists.

Has anyone got any ideas as to resolve this?

Regards

Peter

*eek* *eek* *eek* *eek*

Was any vents put around the soffit boards ? Sounds like the roof needs some ventilation as it appears that the air is condensing in the garage hence the large amounts of water.

Solution would be to vent roof thereby allowing the moisture to circulate outside, if you still have problems then i suggest a de- humidifyer, mine runs 24hrs a day to combat moisture. 😬

I had the same problem and bought a dehumidifier from B&Q for about £100 and no probs at all - must get around to plumbing it in though. It is very useful if the car is washed and put straight away as well.

The only problem I may have is longevity though as it has been on for a year now and has started to sound a bit rough

Michael.

You say it has just been built - Does it have a concrete base, and how long has it been down? It takes at least a month in warm weather to dry out an inch of concrete - preferably two. There is a lot of water in liquid concrete!

I agree that you need to get a dehumidifier (and empty it frequently)

Steve

I would go with a de-humidifier as well. I have had mine running every winter for the last 3 years with no problems.

I would also consider lining the roof if you intend using the garage as a hideaway/workshop for yourself. I lined mine between the rafters with 100mm Rockwool faced with a reflective foil membrane. With the heating turned on it is nice and cosy and reflects all the light back down. *thumbup*

Brent

Zetec

Definetly recommend a dehumidifier.. my garage didn't appear to be damp but the car did consistently rust when left in there. (depsite the oil fired boiler being in there..)

Got a dehumidifer a few months back and it's pulling 2-3l/day of water out of there!!! it's got a drain hose to the outside now as I got fed up emptying it.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

If the roof was lined with roofing felt and is unvented you will definately get this problem - either get some vents in the soffit boards or replace a couple of tiles on each side of the roof with vented ones (top and bottom to allow circulation).

The roofing felt acts as a very good weather seal that encourages condensation to form.

My solution is to use asingle (or sometimes 2, depending on the Rel Humidity) Glen 120w tubular heaters from B&Q (£15.98 each) placed under the car together with an indoor type car cover - cotton which breathes. The warmed air rises and vents through the bonnet vents and takes the moisture with it.

For the price of running a light bulb - it works for me

Large size viper& yellow 1.6 S/S

My garage is a typcial concrete prefab stand alone structure. Dampness had not really occured to me but did notice some condensation the other day.

What sort of dehumidifiers are you guys using. The sort from from B&Q / Machine Mart? If so do you leave it running 24x7?

Alan and his Yellow and Green BDR.

I use 2 of the B & Q types which drain directly to outside and run 24/7 from October through March. Each one takes between 2-3 L/day of water from the garage.

In addition the garage is heated by a radiator connected to the main central heating system as the garage is attached to the house. I generally just keep this on low when I am not in the garage but then turn it up if I want to work out there so the 7 is kept warm & dry. *thumbup* 😬

Brent

Zetec

Update,

Neighbour wanted his dehumidifier back so I got one from B&Q (£80) after running this for a week and getting 2/3Ltr per day the garage is now perfectly dry!!! Car seats are totally dry and not damp at all.

The roof has also dried out and all the water has gone from it !!!

If I hadn't sorted this out last week I doubt I would have had much Caterham left for spring 2004. Definitely worth sorting out,

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

regards

peter

AKA inspector71

*smile*