Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electric arm signal failure

FH

Sunny day. Started up 1600 SSport - no L or R indicator function.

Went through the usual rectification procedure - hazards on/off. Hazards work.

Back to indicators - nada.

Fuses OK

Checked that I had fuel. Engine. Battery and all the funny wires (joke)

Am I missing something very obvious question.gif

A brain maybe sad.gif

Assistance from all you wonderfully technical gurus please.

Thanking you in advance

FH blush.gif

Seems an intermittent fault is common. I bought a new flasher unit, replaced the old one and hey presto. Then tried the old one and that worked as well. I had already done the usual rattling of wire and contacts etc.

Semms that these things often self cure and may be caused by damp. I now carry a spare flasher unit (only a few pennies) along with the spare fuses (all taped on the bulkhead).

Paul R.

If you have no indicators, it'll be the fuse the relay or the ceter wire on the back of the switch. Most likely the relay (alhough a clumsy knuckle could pull the wires off the switch!

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif

My money's on the flasher unit.

I used to find my old one on the floor of the car (where it won't work) every now and then for no good reason, and operating the hazards would stop the indicators working every now and then. New unit sorted both problems out.

Reminds me of the joke about the Irishman testing his mates indicators. Asked to check if they're working he goes to the front of the car. Seamus turns the indicators on and Paddy tells him "they are, they aren't, they are, they aren't...".

C7 AJM

Sorted teeth.gif

It was as Graham suggested. Sticky rocker switch - needed a little more brutal treatment than my arthritic fingers were capable of giving blush.gif

Many thanks to you all

FH Rocker Queen cool.gif

I had exactly the same fault with my Supersprint. The problem is the idicator circuit uses the Hazard Switch for number of its conections.

After lack of use/winter storage etc the switch contacts get dirty and corroded and fail to make proper contact.

Remedy - remove Hazard switch - dismantle - clean contacts - apply copious amounts of petroleum Jelly - re-assemble - re-fit -problem cured.

John A

I always wondered what it was for wink.gif

Well, there you go - first attempt at a bit of tech talk and the answer has s*xual overtones - blush.gif

So where do I put the waxoyl question.gif

Love

FH teeth.gif