Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Epoxy floor paint

Andrew Dent

I recently applied epoxy paint to my garage floor (you can see it a bit in this photo) and did a lot of research first on how to achieve a tough, long lasting finish. I learned that the 2-part epoxies are regarded as best, but preparation is considered the key to a surface that won't lift over time. Based on positive feedback, I bought Rustoleum's Garage Floor Paint kit at Home Depot, which includes 1 gallon of 2-part epoxy, colored paint chips to give the floor a terrazzo look, and a citric acid based etching compound to prep the floor. Note: I opted to use muriatic acid rather than the citric acid supplied with the kit, since the former is reportedly more aggressive.

I started off cleaning the floor with a concrete stain remover to eliminate the grease/oil spots, and then followed with muriatic acid to etch the concrete and give the paint a grippy bonding surface. After using a big squeegee to remove the excess water, I let the floor dry for a day before applying the paint and paint chips. The whole process took the better part of the weekend and cost about $200 to prep & cover my 675 sq/ft floor. The downside is that you need to keep cars off the floor for 1 week (you can walk on it after 1 day and begin to put heavier items on it after 2-3 days), but the results were worth the effort.

-John

Throttle Steer

Edited by - JohnCh on 14 Oct 2003 15:26:49

Epoxys are great but expensive. A cheaper solution is ordinary floor paint from your local DIY shop, 2 coats, the first very heavily thinned to soak up the dust, no real prep unless the floor is really really greasy. Again keep cars off it for a few days or the tyres will lift the paint in that area, but once it's down and hard it's durable enough unless you are using it as commercial premises. OK, 5 maybe 10 years on you'll want to repaint it, well, there goes another 15 quid and 2 hours with a roller.

If you are going to paint your floor, i'd advise you to use a levelling compound prior to painting. The little ridges and troughs of the concrete finish, is usually what tends to cause the paint to lift, if you imagine the pressure put on the paint at the tips of the ridges is enormous.

But i'd advise using floor tiles! Get an end of line deal and you're laughing, and it doesn't have to cost a bomb. Fit and forget.

You can even use ordinary car paint ( 2 component acrylic ) it lasts surprisingly well even a 1000kg trolley with steels wheels it lasted wel, whe did paint the floor every year with the leftovers but the ultimate is 2 component epoxy paint you will never wear it off aldo it can be slippy when wet.