Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live axle upgrade.

James B.

Jason, I spoke to Len Unwin of Freestyle & he told me that these dampers were the result of several thousnd pounds worth of research & that the results proove to be better than the De Dion Axle. Apparently they can be adjusted by hand in a few minutes.

The cost is between £300 & £400. Hope that helps, but give him a ring (01892 540 828) he's a really nice Guy & very helpfull.

James.

James W has been providing spherical jointed Leda dampers for the rear, for years.

I fitted them 3 years ago, and they were a vast improvement. Avo also provide a similiar damper, both Leda and Avo can be purchased direct from the manufacturers.

I have the non-spherical jointed versions of Freestyles suspension, and after an initial testing time getting the damper settings and ARB settings right, has been absolutely brilliant for road use.

I can recommend them fully. I was told at the time (12 months ago) that spherical joints would not benefit the car that much for road use as the loading forces were not that high if you are driving the car within the limits of visability *smile*

For track use this would not apply.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

In theory the sherical jointed version should be better, but it cost a little more - you'll need to talk to Len Unwin regarding costs.

I decided against it as I only use the car on the road and even then do not corner hard enough that the compliance of the lower bushes is exceeded. Also, a few years ago, there was a spell where sperical joints (not the ones provided by Len - aka Freestyle) were failing. So I stayed with the older technology.

Edited by - Graham Sewell on 16 Sep 2003 13:53:37

If you need any help please ring 01892 540828 / 07946 634021 We will be at Brands, on Tuesday, with our new pushrod car so if you can get there call in, eat our donuts, drink our coffee and have a chat.

Edited by - Len Unwin on 16 Sep 2003 15:55:05

Leda have a web site, but from memory, it was £110 including springs for the each front wheel and £135 including springs for the rear.

James W also has a web site. I can let you know the spring rates I went for, if your buying direct from Leda, otherwise, James can advise you

We have had Leda spherical bearing mounted shock absorbers for a couple of years and are very satisfied. James Whiting explained why one should fit them. I believe that you should at the same time fit a spherical bearing in the a-frame to get the full benefit. Avo maybe better due to their reduced weight.

Edited by - deanteam on 17 Sep 2003 14:10:36

Hello all,

I fitted the James Whiting Ledas 3 years ago and they have been brilliant - very easy to adjust.

I also fitted a spherical jointed a-frame, which has meant no more A frame bush replacements.

This year it was upgraded to a rear anti-roll and the James Whiting disk brake conversion (as fitted to the FireBlade). Both are excellent.

Cheers,

Peter