Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Taller first gear

Wingnut

Sorry for asking something thats probably been done to death many times (search engine off line) before.

Does anyone know where I can get a taller first gear for a standard type nine box for reasonable money (£200-£350), I have looked at the quaife clubmans type box's but do not really want to spend around a grand.

Currently to go in a three year old 1.6K SS, mate also wants one for his Striker.

Thanks *cool*

Mark

I aggree.. my BGH gb is the dog wotsits.. a little 'firm' from 1st to 2nd when new but after 5k miles (4 weeks) its just right.

Chris

'Im a very delicate creature' said Ermintrude

'Delicate.. you about as delicate as a Roman 0rgy' replied Dougall

See my CAR here

Chris

I have been investigating the same idea - that is to upgrade the 5 speed box as a cheaper alternative to a caterham 6 speed box.

Try

BGH on 01580 714114

SPC on 01527 894232

They both do helical conversions with longer firsts

Regards

Simon

With BGH the E6 is about the longest.. there is a E7 comming maybe arrived with a silly long 1st gear..

E1 2.0 Standard .820 1.0 1.37 1.97 3.65

E2 2.0 Long 1st .820 1.0 1.37 1.97 2.98

*E4 2.0 Rocket 5 .882/.909 1.0 1.23 1.65 2.58

E5 2.8 Standard .825 1.0 1.26 1.81 3.36

E5A 2.8 Scorpio .825 1.0 1.26 1.81 3.36

E6 2.8 Sporting Close .85/.87 1.0 1.26 1.81 2.80

the E6 with my XF works great in the power band.. n 3500rpm @ 70mpg (3.6 diff) is easy on hte ears for those long M-way trips

Chris

'Im a very delicate creature' said Ermintrude

'Delicate.. you about as delicate as a Roman 0rgy' replied Dougall

See my CAR here

Talked to BGH today and if they upgrade your box it can be as low as £300+vat which seems bloody good value to me - this should give a real improvement for little cost - and similar ratio spread to the 6 speed - for about £2000 less

Thanks for the response

I think that this is the area on my caterham that needs the most attention,and will will make the most difference to the driving experiance. Definately top of the list for this winters tinkering!

Thanks

Mark *cool*

Thanks for the response

I think that this is the area on my caterham that needs the most attention,and will will make the most difference to the driving experiance. Definately top of the list for this winters tinkering!

Thanks

Mark *cool*

Brian Hill is a top bloke ,and will mix and match ratios for you by some slight of hand which included changing a layshaft I seem to recall, in addition to simply cutting new ratios. He is sometime a bitty irritable on the phone , and launched into a rant with me till I pointed out that he was mixing me up with someone else . He soon came off the high horse.

Results are superb, and represent great vfm.