Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cheaper Throttle/Clutch Cable

I'm looking to get a spare throttle cable and a clutch cable for my K Series VVC engined SV. From Caterham that's a quick £110 for the pair, which is a bit more than I was expecting. It's there a suitable cheaper alternative available these days?  I've not found much myself so far

I found something recently on making your own throttle cable in here. It was about 5 to 10 pounds.

Clutch cable will be more difficult due to the higher forces. I assume it's a standard part so you just need to find the car it's from (and let me know) otherwise speedy cables can probably make one but that won't be cheap.

• Thanks 1

I have one of each still in the original rover sleeve which should have the part number.  I'll try to dig them out and have a look.

But do try calling Redline.  I know he can be slow to respond, but Chris is an excellent resource for us owners.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Throttle cable .... use a bicycle cable in the original outer sleeve. Find one with a suitable barrel nipple and end and use a screw nipple the other end. Often PTFE or Teflon coated too

Edited by SM25T
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/05/2024 at 21:27, SM25T said:

Throttle cable .... use a bicycle cable in the original outer sleeve. Find one with a suitable barrel nipple and end and use a screw nipple the other end. Often PTFE or Teflon coated too

Shimano rear brake or rear derallieur cables are the best..

• Like 1

Not sure about the gear cables as they tend to have a much smaller nipple, unless this goes through the pedal first and the cable clamp at the TB end ?(thinking of my single plenum K series)

I’ve got a cheese style MTB cable in the tool kit I carry in the seven along with a cable clamp.

• Like 1