Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter heat insulation?

Julian H

Hi

I have a piece of insulation with a foil face wire tied around my starter to protect it from the exhaust heat. It has deteriorated quite a bit over the years so would like to replace it with something, the same preferably. What is this product please? 

The insulation is about 10mm thick and made of a very dense Rockwool type product, with the foil on the outside?

Thanks,

Julian

“DEI”do heatshield blankets for starter motors (available from Demon Tweeks) as do “Funk Motorsport”. Both priced around the same. 
They look thinner than the one you have but are probably a better grade of materials. 

• Like 1

@PlastererPete - thanks for suggestion of a heat shield - I've been thinking of one myself.  The DEI looks simple enough to fit.  Is it a case of cut to fit with a velcro closure?  My primaries will make fitting anything else a real faff...

@JP I haven’t got one myself as my primaries are on the opposite side. I have got DEI exhaust sleeves and Funk Motorsport cable heat shields. The cable shields are just cut to length things so I assume the starter motor shield would be a similar thing. 

• Like 1

That might be a better idea.  Any particular brand of tape to recommend?  I've seen DEI tape available on DT website in 15' or 50' rolls.  Roughly how much does one need to wrap 4 primaries?

Rusting !

That's not good, is that because the wrapping held moisture and that caused the rusting ?  I'm curious as I'm planning on wrapping my pipes.

Don't they get so hot any moisture is evaporated very quickly ?

On 20/04/2024 at 20:19, 7 wonders of the world said:

bear in mind that this material conducts electricity and it not secured it can and does vibrate free and cause a short - I would look at a proper heat shield 

Me too. Are you thinking of a bit of angled sheet bolted to the block and acting as a barrier between the starter motor and the exhaust but leaving the starter motor fully exposed?

Thanks

Jonathan

1 hour ago, Ainsley said:

Rusting !

That's not good, is that because the wrapping held moisture and that caused the rusting ?  I'm curious as I'm planning on wrapping my pipes.

Don't they get so hot any moisture is evaporated very quickly ?

Not really sure on either question, my primaries are Cheesman so good quality stainless steel. I had them wrapped from new for about 4 years when a fellow owner (Phil Waters) warned me about the problem he had, so I removed the wrap and there was definitely signs of rust and they were very badly pitted. Took a fair bit of aggressive polishing to clean them up.

Wow, my primaries are from Powerspeed c.2002 and seem fine and that's after 14 years of no use being stored in a draughty barn...but with no wrap...

10 hours ago, JP said:

Wow, my primaries are from Powerspeed c.2002 and seem fine and that's after 14 years of no use being stored in a draughty barn...but with no wrap...

Mine have been fine since I removed the wrap 😃

Primaries.JPG

• Like 1

Nice tin bashing here Guy, I saw your post on the other page we use, and I have a sheet of this stuff in the shed, especially as the starter has started to emit a strange noise on cranking, possibly too late now, more fun and games, I seem to spend more time mucking about sorting things than driving it.

Cheers.

Nigel. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Nigel Riches said:

Nice tin bashing here Guy, I saw your post on the other page we use, and I have a sheet of this stuff in the shed, especially as the starter has started to emit a strange noise on cranking, possibly too late now, more fun and games, I seem to spend more time mucking about sorting things than driving it.

Hi Nigel, It’s really easy to bend, I just rolled it round a large bottle on my bench and you can cut it with a good pair of scissors or tin snips.

• Like 1