Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Blundell Harling Drawing Board

Lovely.  A thing from a past age now with CAD. Much to the disgust and amazement of folk at work,  I still draw in pencil with set squares and protractors,  and always will. I can draw faster like that than I ever would with CAD. I hope someone gives this a home.

8 hours ago, Englishmaninwales said:

Is tech drawing and design initially taught using traditional methods before being let loose with CAD? At least when the power to the PC fails work can continue. 

And Putin can't hack 😉

• Area Representative
Posted (edited)

Ahhh... happy memories of GCSE Technical Drawing with Mr Phillips in Helston School - sadly both have gone now.

I still remember everything had to be scrupulously clean before starting and your pencil had to be properly sharp - dropping it on to the back of your hand to check it was sharp enough!

Edited by Nick Bassett

• Area Representative

My favourite subject TD and got a job leaving school doing TD one open evening and you cant beat watching your drawings turn into life - whether its buildings or domestic appliance components etc - I love drawing much better than the CAD trickery 

On 11/03/2024 at 16:49, Englishmaninwales said:

Good condition, free to a good home, collection only or could possibly meet by arrangement. Edit: located in NE Wales

Unfortunately for you this thread is going the same way as when I tried to give one away on here - just talk about the good old days! I ended up turning the board into a work table and scrapping the frame

As a young structural engineer, I had that exact same drawing board in the design office in 1991! Brilliant bit of kit. I still work in the construction industry and for all the advances in computer based design software, none of it replaces brain power. As I say to young designers keen to rant on about the necessity of 3D modelling, Sir Christopher Wren seemed to manage OK when he designed St Pauls!

Funny how so many of us have a background in drafting. I hope your board finds a good home.

I still have mine complete with the then, latest of drafting machines. It’s an indexing head on a movable arm with two rules set at 90 degrees. I wanted to be a designer but ended up doing civil drafting for first the Ministry of Revenue, Assessment Office and then, the City of Oshawa, Planning and Development department. I went on to spend over 40 years in the precision sheet metal trade. The last dozen years as a CNC programmer for punch presses and laser cutters. Yes, I sat in front of CAD computer using a specialized software package. BUT… my years of sitting at a drafting table gave me a leg up on my co-workers. It didn't hurt that my drafting teacher (Norm Sterling) literally wrote the book used to teach high schools students. When I was working on the floor I had my drafting table at my work station. I could quickly markup blue prints on the fly as changes were made to products. Later as the Quality Control Manager my drafting table came in handy for many projects both on and off the books.