Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can you pull your knob when you're strapped in tight?

graearea

no, me neither. I thought I was gonna do myself a right whoopsie trying to reach my heater knob whilst in my 6-point harness.

image.png.ed6d7d54336fd34d603a2f5a070ccda0.png

The original knob is about 25mm in length so I made myself a bigger knob. in fact, I've now got 2 knobs. a big (50mm, shown above) one and an uber (70mm) one for people with arms like a T-Rex.

they're PETG and so they'll take the heat under the dash and they have a brass insert (just like the original) but they are much longer.

black only, I could probably do you a custom 100mm one, but I reckon the 70mm looks massive in my hands.

as usual, order on uberniche.co.uk

any complaints about my copy to kennethwillliams@1970s-british-tv.com please.

Merry Christmas

J

Edited by graearea
forgot photo

• Area Representative
2 hours ago, SM25T said:

Easy fix here with a hex spacer bar ... M5 male one end and M5 female the other, using the original knob.

Yes Ian. A better and cheap solution. They are called “Standoffs” if anyone is searching for them. Are you sure they are M5. From memory I think you need M4. Best to check first. 

Edited by paul richards
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, paul richards said:

Yes Ian. A better and cheap solution. They are called “Standoffs” if anyone is searching for them. Are you sure they are M5. From memory I think you need M4. Best to check first. 

you're looking at about a fiver delivered for a couple of steel hex standoffs

I wouldn't argue with cheaper, but I think it's not better. I don't want that much metal spike around my knees in a crash. (maybe I should say "yet another" metal spike) I couldn't find any M5 Nylon standoffs either and wouldn't want a plastic thread snapping off inside my knob.

happy to hear any solutions tho

J

Edited by graearea

• Area Representative
7 hours ago, graearea said:

“I don't want that much metal spike around my knees in a crash. (maybe I should say "yet another" metal spike) “

In the event of a crash I doubt a piece of metal the size of a small pencil will present much of a problem  

10 hours ago, p.mole1 said:

The beauty of riding off road in Europe is the lack of gates, I rode across the Pyrenees and only had to open 2 gates, you lucky to cover 300m in the UK!  

11 hours ago, Jonathan Kay said:

Standoff was M5 in 2010.

But which solution adds less mass?  : - )

Happy Christmas

Jonathan

Remove the heater all together looses a lot of dead mass.... 🤣

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...