Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2024 Season News?

Dobson_justin

Another vote for more double headers.

How about both Curboroughs, Harewood and Prescott which would take the number of championship events to 16. 

Increasing the number of double headers would certainly give  more competitors the chance of hitting the required 7 events. 

P

I would support double headers to increase the number of rounds. Agree with Paul that Prescott and Harewood would be the best events for this as they are the best supported hill climbs and Harewood in particular make us very welcome and run a very slick event. 

Not so sure about making both Curboroughs double headers. 

• Leadership Team

Given the clear decrease in numbers something has to be done, reducing the number of events is the only option. This is needed to ensure survival of the championship, as without more entries per event it will not continue indefinitely. So if double headers are preferred we could drop three of the single events, for instance Goodwood, Aintree and Loton, and instead do double headers at Prescott, Harewood and Curbs. However, this reduces choice further. I think in 2024 we should trial the calendar as proposed without removing any further events. I think the proposed calendar is a good balance of events and venues whilst reducing the number as is necessary. If this doesn’t work then moving to six weekends is a sensible next step but I think is too large a step to do now.

Make May Curborough weekend a double header, using both layouts. Drop August?

Maybe I'm in a minority but I only do venues I enjoy, and don't do any "to make up my numbers". 2x Harewood and 2x Prescott to count would be good, but I'll hopefully do both days regardless. And a change to make them double headers in the championship really wouldn't make me less likely to go to somewhere I don't really want to visit. 

Also, we are having this debate a bit late.. Having seen a little of the work that the comp sec has to do and that any minor tweak will upset many, I am happy for Andy to make the decisions. And thanks Andy, Andy and Rob for keeping this running. Numbers are down in all championships, and thankfully ours remains healthier than most.

For Wiscombe, would many go if it was a non championship event with us as just an invited club? I think I would, and that could be a way to keep the clubs options open for future years.

• Like 1

Like you Alan I tend to only enter events I enjoy and yes, I might well consider Wiscombe as a non-championship event. Harewood and Prescott seem ideal double headers (if possible).

In my mind, less events equals less choice and I'm not entirely convinced that is a good idea. Looking at the final results for last year of the 52 entrants only 25 managed to compete in 7 or more. Perhaps we need to find out if there are reasons other than financial. 

IMHO we already have this year too many sprints (8) compared to hillclimbs (4).

Trackdays seem to be gaining popularity in the club perhaps we could find a way of enticing those into sprinting? 

I would support any/all of the non championship hillclimb rounds (Gurston, Harewood, Prescott, Loton Park) being promoted to championship rounds.

Plus a return to Wiscombe for 2025 (unfortunately I had to withdraw my entry at the last minute in 2023 due to illness).

There are some anti Loton views expressed above. I know they treated our entries poorly in 2022 and they continue putting us on the sloped grass paddock which is less than ideal, it is nevertheless a top UK venue and I’d encourage the CL7C to continue its support for the event. Far better to go there than Aintree!

If numbers stay marginal, drop running our own events at Curborough. Save the financial risk and a shed load of organisation! Edit to add: We can still go there as an invited club, either by Shenstone or BMMC.

(Alan, no doubt you’ll disagree with me 😛)

Malcolm

Edited by Englishmaninwales
Clarification

Its all about time and money? 

double headers reduce travel cost so helps, but quality of venue sound be considered. I would travel 500 miles to go to Wiscombe but would not get out of bed for Antrie. 

going back to my 1st post if the championship was just at 7 events I think we would get, 7 amazing competition. I do think it needs to be both hills and circuits. 

I ask that you keep reviewing the championship and remember we need to get more to do it. sometimes less is more.

just to add: if you want to be comparative then you have to do the invited day as well as the championship event . if cost is one of the factors this may put members off these events? you will have the data to see if this is the case. do members do both days at Gurston but not do 7 counting rounds? 

David  

Edited by david nelson

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2023 at 16:20, Tony Smith said:

I agree with both Malcolm and Alan.

Its always going to be tricky (actually impossible) with a national championship to get the geographic spread right for everyone, without having lots of rounds and having lots of rounds would mean less entries at some rounds especially in areas that have less competitors. As our championship is quite midlands-centric the rounds in the south get less entries and I understand thats why Wiscombe has gone.

Personally I am very happy that Goodwood and Gurston have remained and have in-fact looked into the possibility of entering a southern championship that would give me 4 events at each venue and save a small fortune in Diesel, however I would then miss out on the really exceptional camaraderie that exists within our championship. I have done events with other clubs and it's really not the same!!!!!

We have something very special and I hope we can keep it going during challenging times.

As a fellow southerner i am happy to attend other championships with you. May the abuse continue.

My (probably not wanted) pennies worth. We are trying to make it more cost effective thus hoping more will compete yet we keep the most expensive event in the calendar, run by morons and you get less runs on avg then anywhere else. I know it must be hard to organise and a lot to consider but some very popular events have been removed and one or two unpopular events kept. As said in the meeting you cant keep everyone happy but i feel the majority would gladly not attend Loughton and put the money and milage towards Wiscombe instead. 100% on double headers.