Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2024 Season News?

Dobson_justin

I realise the planning for next years championship is not as straightforward as in previous seasons, but just wondered if there is any news on expected timings for entries to open, or for the calendar to appear? Don’t want to miss an event for something as menial as a holiday getting in the way!  

• Leadership Team

I believe Andrew may be travelling at the moment so please see below an extract from the provisional Club calendar 2024 that's in December's Lowflying and that will land on doorsteps this week.  It shows just the core Championship events, not the other invited events.  Hope that helps 👍

6-Apr-24              Anglesey National Sprint

7-Apr-24              Anglesey International Sprint

20-Apr-24           Goodwood Sprint

12-May-24          Curborough double lap Sprint

25-May-24          Aintree Sprint

9-Jun-24              Prescott Hillclimb

16-Jun-24           Gurston Down Hillclimb

14-Jul-24             Loton Park Hillclimb

4-Aug-24             Harewood Hillclimb

25-Aug-24          Curborough 'Figure of 8' Sprint

28-Sep-24           Blyton Eastern Sprint

29-Sep-24           Blyton Outer Sprint

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Leadership Team

The list of invited and Championship days is as follows  (pdf attached below), all have been confirmed by the organisers. 

Plus, quick update on proposed changes going into the regs :
 1. Prescott will replace Wiscombe on the list of nominated events, 
2. The need for insurance,, per MSUK rules, is being removed for road going classes but Road Tax and MOT remain; in the hope it reduces costs for some.

Day

Date

Course

Organising Club

Event type

Saturday

06/04/24

Anglesey National

Longton and District MC

Championship

Sunday

07/04/24

Anglesey International

Longton and District MC

Championship

Saturday

20/04/24

Goodwood

Bognor Regis MC

Championship

Saturday

11/05/24

Curborough 2-lap

British Motorsport Marshals club

Invited

Sunday

12/05/24

Curborough 2-lap

Caterham and Lotus Seven Club

Championship

Saturday

25/05/24

Aintree

Liverpool Motor Club

Championship

Saturday

8/6/24

Prescott

Bugatti Owners Club

Invited

Sunday

9/06/24

Prescott

Bugatti Owners Club

Championship

Surdayat

15/06/24

Gurston

BARC SW

Invited

Sunday

16/06/24

Gurston

BARC SW

Championship

Saturday

13/06/24

Loton Park

Hagley and District Light Car Club

Invited

Sunday

14/06/24

Loton Park

Hagley and District Light Car Club

Championship

Saturday

3/08/24

Harewood

BARC Yorkshire

Invited

Sunday

4/08/24

Harewood

BARC Yorkshire

Championship

Saturday

24/08/24

Curborough 8

British Motorsport Marshals club

Invited

Sunday

25/08/24

Curborough 8

Caterham and Lotus Seven Club

Championship

Saturday

28/09/24

Blyton Eastern

Nottingham Sports Car Club

Championship

Sunday

29/08/24

Blyton Outer

Nottingham Sports Car Club

Championship

Calendars.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Disappointing that there's no Cadwell Park, Hethel, Wisombe Park.

Long-standing commitment means Anglesey in April is a no-go for me. 7 qualifying rounds is looking harder to achieve from personal perspective assuming with the reduced number of events unless we're reducing the number of quaifying rounds to 6?

What's the reason for Cadwell, Hethel and Wiscombe disappearing?

For the first time in 16 years I'm struggling to find enthusiasm, at the moment, for next season. 🙁

When the calendar was announced the reason given for the reduction in the number of rounds was because of a fall off in the number of competitors with fewer at each round in 2023. By having fewer rounds the argument was that it will concentrate competitors between a smaller number of rounds making each event more competitive.

This may or may not be the case but people also choose where to compete based on the location of the events, and in 2024 we have lost 2 in the east, and fitting round other things in life such as work commitments and holidays. So now there is less choice of events it could be that many will not manage to do the 7 rounds needed to get a decent score in the championship, as Chris has indicated.

Malcom’s idea is worth considering as 2 events in a weekend does reduce the costs of travel. I think quite a lot of us would be in favour of this.

For me 16 rounds sounds about the right number to give a decent choice of which to attend. 12 not sure?

I agree with Malcolms suggestion (for once). Its a good compromise to help reduce travel costs at least. Of course the winner on Saturday will often be the winner on Sunday, but, its a compromise, and hopefully a temporary one. I'm sad to see Wiscombe dropped after so many years, but understand it was very quiet for all but class 3, like some other venues. 

I agree with both Malcolm and Alan.

Its always going to be tricky (actually impossible) with a national championship to get the geographic spread right for everyone, without having lots of rounds and having lots of rounds would mean less entries at some rounds especially in areas that have less competitors. As our championship is quite midlands-centric the rounds in the south get less entries and I understand thats why Wiscombe has gone.

Personally I am very happy that Goodwood and Gurston have remained and have in-fact looked into the possibility of entering a southern championship that would give me 4 events at each venue and save a small fortune in Diesel, however I would then miss out on the really exceptional camaraderie that exists within our championship. I have done events with other clubs and it's really not the same!!!!!

We have something very special and I hope we can keep it going during challenging times.

• Like 2

• Leadership Team

Ref 2 events in a weekend, that's quite ossible with the Hill climbs. For the sprints Anglesey and Blighton already are, so that only leaves the Curborough events , as Goodwood and Aintree are single day events.

The reason for 12 events is low numbers in 2023 and 'not enough competition'  (a complaint from the paddock) as a result.  If making a weekend of it has the chance to fix both and is what is wanted , then I can do that but don't think the ratio of hill climbs :sprints should drop any further (currently 8:4). 

Happy to hear and still able to adjust as the permit application is just about ready but not yet sent.

More double events for me please. At least competitors will have a choice of 1 or 2 days at the same venue. Generally speaking I think the invited days have been quite popular in the past so adding them in as qualifying rounds seems a no brainier.

re ratio, sadly it hasn’t helped we have lost 2 circuit this year.

I am not sure what has been planned for 2024, but have for some years felt there are too many events or too many events you have to do.

If there we 5 counting events then I would come back to the championship. In reality means I need to do 7 events to have a go at coming anywhere, but could do less if money was tight.

We all know life and spending money for fun is an extra. If numbers have dropped off while cost of living has increased, reducing the number to count would have cut costs and may have allowed some to join in with this club event.

Yes we can still do the club events without the championship, but the cost for 2 events just does not add up for me. 

I am sure I will not be the only club member to feel this way. 

David 

I was at the helm the last time we faced the same conundrum.

We looked at the numbers at each venue BUT we did give a years notice to everyone that unless they attended their favourite events then they may be on the hit list.

This notice period saved Wiscombe.  It was number one for the chop but it had great attendance the following year and numbers held up over the following years.

I do think it should be retained given our long standing partnership with the MG Club, it’s the cheapest event by far! And it’s another hill for that ratio thing.

It is far more interesting than Aintree! 

I see David’s argument it was the same last time.  It’s an absolute valid point but I have the opposite view that you should be committed to the championship to count as a champion. So I feel 7 is correct.

In saying that there is really no way I want to go back to Loton the way we get treated as competitors. No Aintree. No Goodwood for noise on my part and gears!  Other work obligations etc I just don’t see me getting to enough events in 2024 for the first time since we started the Championship.

I think another 2 events =14 would be a good balance.

I agree re Loton and won’t be going again for the same reason as Simon, perhaps Harewood could be a double header for the championship. They really know how to run an event. Aintree I will try and get to as well for the same reason as Harewood, they are committed to getting the most runs possible and really work hard at it. I know it’s only 3 corners etc but it’s about more than the track and I have really enjoyed it for the last few years.

having said all that it is a shame we won’t be at Wiscombe next year, but hopefully we will get back at some point.

on the whole I can see where we are and why we are doing what we are doing and support Andy and the team in there management of a tricky situation.