Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Top Dashboard lightbulb holder – circa 1999 / 2000

7_Malc

My top dashboard bulb holder and green lens between the two dials has disintegrated (brittle plastic, UV degradation etc) and I am searching for a replacement. The Caterham is a 1999 Roadsport / Supersport (1800 K-series) but I believe that most cars from this era had a similar dash layout and lights. If you have switched to a Stack digital display and still have the previous lamp holders available (x1 or x3) please let me know. 

I have investigated the modern LED alternatives and not found anything that is a good enough match, so I am hoping for an original replacement.

Pictured are the original 3 lamps, as they were. Top one needs a new lens (green) and bulb holder.

cheers, Malc

IMG_1041.jpg

• Area Representative

Malc7. My link above is to a normal warning light. The top light on a car of your era is normally a shift light and is a much brighter bulbous light held in place by a plastic holder as per JP. 

• Thanks 1

That plastic part just pushes in to the dashboard from the front.  I don't have a pic of it before I fitted it unfortunately, but the item in the pic on the parts site is what arrives.  You need to disconnect the bulb, pull the old plastic off, feed the wires through and then reinsert the bulb.  The new one was a smidge wider than the original so some very gentle filing of the hole was required.  I have a better pic of the broken one, which light shed some light...

20221112_141436.thumb.jpg.5e18d22d8cbd302f248ce6b8144da010.jpg

• Thanks 1

So I can report that the Caterham part (bulb holder) does work. It its a tight push-fit on the shifrt-light, and seems to slot in the dashboard well. Not driven with it yet, so I have no idea if it will cope with the vibrations etc. Photo to follow when I am able to get in the garage in daylight. 

• Like 1