Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Club Tour 2024 - The Alps

RogNeedham

20 minutes ago, tangomikeromeo said:

It’s gets rather dull with the 4,000 rpm drone of the 6- speed for me. Off the autoroute it takes days. 

borrow a trailer? All the Germans arrived (pre covid I think it was) like that, left their cars/trailers here and headed off in their 7s. i i r c  edit me too does that. Sixspeed is outrageous fun in the Alps.

Edited by anthonym
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, tangomikeromeo said:

It’s gets rather dull with the 4,000 rpm drone of the 6- speed for me. Off the autoroute it takes days. 

Next years route for our eurotrip with a break half way.

https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/animate/route/8118620

No motorway

Just stunning French roads! 

Take a look. 

5ish hours drive to first stop, 5ish hours to destination where we  base ourselves. (saves packing and unpacking car everyday) 

Edited by Markiebabes
Adding content
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Area Representative

Wow!  Two 5 hour stints is hardcore.  That will need an early start!

Route will need a lot more waypoints otherwise one wrong slot or road closure will see you onto the auto routes.

I also see it goes through the centre of Reims, so will need Crit'air stickers and to be Euro 4 compliant in 2024 ?

Think we'd be better avoiding the issues this brings with it

DerekH

• Like 1

• Leadership Team

Hi all, as you know the Alps span a sizeable area east to west, so the focus of this tour will be around the Livigno and Indy/See regions both of which contain epic driving roads thankfully.

This past September a few local 7ers went on a trip taking in the Vosges mountains and western Black Forest. Our base was Herbolzheim. The reason I mention this picks up on the comments regarding the ‘slog’ to get to the ultimate destination. We departed Calais c.1000hrs and after the usual comfort / fuel stops, arrived at our destination c1830… a long day on the autoroutes indeed- and in 30 degree heat!

As others have pointed out, the journey can be as much fun as the destination, so I am in conversation with a couple of hotels on the journey down, so as to allow less motorway work and more of the off piste roads.

Some folks may indeed, want to make their way using trailers to the key destination overnight stops which is fine, but may impact how the club books the channel crossings. 

Anyway, more to follow on here once I have some more detailed info

All the best 

Rog

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DerekH said:

Wow!  Two 5 hour stints is hardcore.  That will need an early start!

Route will need a lot more waypoints otherwise one wrong slot or road closure will see you onto the auto routes.

I also see it goes through the centre of Reims, so will need Crit'air stickers and to be Euro 4 compliant in 2024 ?

Think we'd be better avoiding the issues this brings with it

DerekH

Not a final route, will be tweaking it and adding more way points to stick to nice roads and avoid the crit towns. 

• Leadership Team

UPDATE: thanks again to all those who have expressed an interest in the tour. Some of you may have spotted Debbie Stott’s post regarding the Swiss Trip…. having spoken to Debbie last week, I think there is a great opportunity to try link the two events together. 

The high level plan would be to have the club tour towards the end of June, culminating with giving attendees the option (I stress option), to extend the itinerary to include the long “Swiss Trip” weekend (June 28-30).

Clearly those wishing to head home as planned at the end of the tour would be free to do so. But at least this way, folks would have options.

For admin / logistical reasons we do not want to include the Swiss Trip in the middle of the Club Tour, given the stand alone T&Cs each organisation will operate under.

I hope this makes sense 

any questions, do please get in touch.

Regards

Rog

• Like 2

Good Morning, we're not quite ready for a club group tour yet, so apologies for being slightly off topic, but we are heading to Dijon for the Grand Prix de l'Age d'Or next June with arrangements by Fast Track (who by the way are great with at venue arrangements having done the last couple of Le Mans Classics with them). So we like to travel independently but the one thing I always struggle with is getting locations of petrol stations on a route off the beaten track in France (with a mighty crossflow averaging less than 25mpg if driven correctly😉it is always reassuring to know where we can next top up). We never use the autoroutes, always scamper through the countryside. Be very grateful if anyone has a clever method/link. Many thanks in advance,

R

• Like 1

Yes would be interested in this if someone knows, also a crossflow, used to be worse when all petrol stations closed on Sundays, one year I had to turn off onto a motorway just to fill up before I ran out🤣 just made it, now always carry a can but some of the distances on the French back roads that doesn't even help.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Leadership Team

Good afternoon all, 

Firstly I must apologies for the radio silence on here, but the 3 weeks up to Xmas gave me a wonderful chest infection, so I haven't been able to do as much as I wanted to and there have also been some key admin / commercial issues to work through.

Anyhow, I am in the process of finalising more specific details and costs with the Club LT in the coming few days and then I'll be able to update on here.

Per my last note, the timing is intended to be last week of June thereby allowing some folks to carry on to the Swiss Club 'Swiss Trip' event if so desired.

Keep your eyes on this thread and I'll update as soon as i possibly can.

All the best

Rog

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 10:22, DebbieS said:

Yes would be interested in this if someone knows, also a crossflow, used to be worse when all petrol stations closed on Sundays, one year I had to turn off onto a motorway just to fill up before I ran out🤣 just made it, now always carry a can but some of the distances on the French back roads that doesn't even help.

Petrol cans prohibited on ferries these days ?