Click here if you are having website access problems ×

IVA check list

Roearn

I've just had my 270S PBC'd at the dealers. They pointed out that I need a collapse unit behind the steering wheel and to mark the switches on the dashboard. The IVA checklist I have doesn't mention these two points, so I asked for a list that says this. They were unable to give me one. Does anyone know what list shows this, and any other points I may not be aware of.

I found a copy of the IVA checklist here https://310build.com/caterhambuildmanual/ 

The collapsible steering wheel boss was necessary when I did mine and Williams Automobiles lent me one which I swapped back after passing and returned to them

Good luck. Mine went fine, biggest priority was to make sure the brakes were working really well and bedded in on the way there. They do check them pretty thoroughly.

• Area Representative

Irrespective of whether it appears on a list you do need a collapsible part on the steering column and label the switches. When I did SVA the requirements changed so quickly and differed from test centre to test centre that no list could keep up to date. 

The clamp etc is for column intrusion towards you in a crash. The collapsible wheel boss is for head impact protection, hence also the fat pad fitted to the steering wheel.

If the car is factory built and IVA tested it wouldn't necessarily be obvious as they would fit and remove as required but never supply one, euro cars have one fitted as standard.

As per #2, Caterham Gawick lent me a collapsible steering column / wheel at PBC which I changed to my quick-release option post IVA. They also labelled all the switches (the ones without a symbol) during PBC although I had planned on doing this myself before taking the car to iVA.

For the IVA, yes - definitely ensure the brakes are bedded in before the test and ensure the engine is warm enough so that the emissions are optimally controlled by the ECU. Everything went well on my IVA but the emissions were very close to the mark and needed a second attempt on the day. This was mainly because I took my car to the IVA on a trailer and only had a few laps of the test centre to warm everything up prior to the test. IVA passed at the first attempt though.

I had my IVA (for a 170) in May in Norwich.  Krazy Horse had done a PBC and got it well prepared (passed first time).  As well as adding the temporary steering wheel, they had also removed the headlamp flasher switch - never got to the bottom of why, and added some rubber hose over the ends of the exposed flexible brake lines. 

I have the LED headlights and was asked at the IVA for paperwork to confirm that they were less than 200 lumen (a new requirement apparently).  Caterham were able to provide the necessary certificate by email during the course of the day but might be worth having this to hand if you also have the LEDs. 

Ah yes, Caterham Gatwick also removed the headlight flasher switch and cable-tied it up behind the dashboard which I later replaced post IVA. I believe Caterham went through a period where cars were not passing IVA due to the operation of the flasher switch causing slight issues with dimming of other lights (possibly brake or side lights). As a headlight flasher switch is not an IVA or MoT requirement it is a safer bet not to have it in the dash. I think the issue is less of a problem with LEDs but why take the chance. When my car went through IVA in April 2022 I had the standard headlight units which I later upgraded to LEDs post-test.

in #10, ChrisC said It includes some tricks and tips on tyre pressures to assist with bias and new brakes. 

Presumably with correct tyre pressures, the brake bias is wrong... *banghead*

*scratchchin* am always intrigued by folks who seem more interested in a "pass" (be it IVA or MoT) than confirmation that the car is safe to drive; and for the manufacturer themselves to be party to such things is astonishing.

No, bias car be rearward with standard brakes before they have bedded in properly.  It's fine if you have an early morning drive to the IVA centre and plenty of time to work the brakes before the test, not so good if your trailering your car to IVA with brand new brakes.  
Having seen a few IVAs there is always assistance needed to achieve a pass especially with emissions. If we are going to stick to designing a Caterham to pass without this type of assistance the changes would be significant. 
This isn't about safety, if it was the inspectors wouldn't allow it, that much is obvious when you observe the process.  The inspectors also aren't stupid, they have seen the same steering wheel hundreds of times, and know it's going to be changed as soon as the test is over.  It's the same with MOT inspections, they won't risk their license. 

#12:   The inspectors also aren't stupid, they have seen the same steering wheel hundreds of times, and know it's going to be changed as soon as the test is over.

Yes indeed.  And of course, the same thing applies to wing trim, bolt caps, spring covers etc.  This does raise the question as to why the IVA test (or, more correctly, the thinking and policy behind it) is designed this way?  I imagine the Construction & Use regs underpin the whole thing, but I fail to see why the IVA test should be concerned with relatively trivial stuff that can (and no doubt will) be altered quite legally later.

JV