Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Pressure Gauge Drop!

Rhys Mann

Just noticed that my oil pressure drops to almost the red line when I press the clutch down, is this normal?  I usually have my mobile phone covering the gauge so not noticed this before! Otherwise she goes straight back up to the middle once in gear. Just thought I'd check in case there's a problem I need to look into!  The Caterham is a Sigma 1.6 125, thanks in advance

Very strange, when the clutch is pushed the crank thrust bearing provides the opposing force to the pressure applied by the CRB.  I have never heard of any crank thrust bearing issues in any modern Ford (unlike modern BMWs), so wouldn't know if this "old school" test is even valid, but a way to measure end float is to see if you can pull and push the main crank pulley (engine off obviously). Any physical moment is probably not a good sign.   

Thanks for the extra information. I don't have a good explanation.

Mechanical OPG:

Put a finger on where the pipe enters the gauge. Do you feel any movement when you declutch? Similarly watch the piping in the engine bay: any movement there? 

Rev counter:

I can't connect that to the mechanical OPG.

Do you have an additional shift light unit?

Check connections: instrument earth, ECU connections including earth, engine earths.

Jonathan

Check the run of the pipe from engine to gauge and see if there's anything squidging it or if it has a kink?

How does the OP change with revs when hot and car is stationary?

Is it only when moving out does it happen when stationary, out of gear and the clutch pressed?

Callum from Turn 7 got back to me so take it, it's not an issue?!

"When you depress the clutch the engine revs reduce to idle speed. When you engage a new gear the revs will pick back up again.
The oil pressure rises and falls with the rotational speed of the engine.

Always here If you need us"

Doesn't sound right to me either.  Obviously the pressure varies with revs, but shouldn't go very low during a gearchange unless the revs drop to near tickover.

I suggest getting the engine up to temp and see what the pressure does at tickover and then at every 500 revs up to 4k or so.

Then maybe set up a cam to film the tacho and the OP gauge as you drive and see how it compares.