Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New helmet for 2024

Alan Bowler

Scrutineers have been reminding me all year I'll need a new helmet for 2024.

I have a "Bell" shaped head, and looks like thats going to cost me around £700+ if I stick with Bell, and get the latest standard.

Does anyone have experience of Headtec or other cheaper brands, in terms of shape/fit?

(My priority of safety should be covered by SA2020, fit is next, then cost)

Well I guess they all have to meet the minimum standards for Snell, FIA etc but does it mean a less expensive helmet only just meets the requirements whereas a more expensive helmet exceeds those requirements by a lesser or greater degree?

I also have a Bell Sport 5 (£300 when new at Autosport) and was quite surprised to see the equivalent is now £700+.

ETA No idea where I got that £700+ from but DT is selling a Bell GT5 Sport with Hans posts for £526 (FIA 8859-2015 which currently has no expiry date)

700+ was in my post above!

Scrutineers have advised to avoid SA2015 as it will probably only give 2 or 3 years, and go for SA2020. Googling confirms this. 

Is a more expensive helmet with the same sticker better? Maybe. Safer? Seems Bells 2015 helmets don't meet the standard for 2020, unless of course this is all a scam betwen helmet manufacturers and FIA/MSUK etc. to sell more stuff.

Anyone tried or using a Headtec?

• Leadership Team

Scrutineers told me the same about avoiding SA2015 as it will have a very short life.  in the past,  I've always shopped for helmets at the Autosport Show where they had most manufacturers / distributors represented and sometimes good offers, but from what I heard about the show this year, companies like Demon Tweeks weren't there.  All very frustrating (and expensive).  

Hi Alan

Having sold a few helmets in the early days of 7 Tips Racing including the budget brands. Once I finally got to try one on myself I decided I didn't want to sell them any longer.

I completely understand we all have different budgets and my first kid was an OMP. It was great.

You are probably closest of all of us to one of the best places to go and try some different brands out.  

Merlin Motorsport at Castle Combe always keep a good range. Go and try some.

Very confused.
So my current Bell Sport 5 has SA2005 sticker. No FIA sticker.

A new helmet with SA2015 sticker will "probably" expire in 2026/2027.

With SA2020, maybe 2031?

But if a new one has an FIA2015 sticker, there is no expiry? So I can get a Bell GT5 from Merlin or DT for 473? (minus club discount) 

Mail order only, however the sizing was simple and the fit felt similar to my old Arai although not as plush, but more comfortable than my old Simpson helmet. 

i'd also however now look at Zapmap who seem to offer good quality helmets at a great price and perhaps Koden? 

• 1 month later...

I have been looking at this more closely and it seems that the FIA 2015 has no expiry date, but I cant find any indication if it may have 0ne year or 10?

Seems to be totally random when they will or won't go out of date. Its a lot of money wasted if I go for an FIA2015 bell and then next year they decide its expired!!!!

Anyone that  can explain it would be popular!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Leadership Team

I have heard (indirectly but from an authoritative source) linked to the MSUK sprint and hillclimb sub-committee that is that It is unlikely there will be an extension to the SA2010, but that if your helmet is to FIA 8860-2010 as well then it continues to be valid. They are separate standard, a helmet can be both, and many apparently are.

Not sure how many people that may help?

Edited by Mcalvert

I paid £330 for my Bell Sport 5 from Advantage Motorsport back in 2016. I recall they didn't have the non-HANS post version in stock so they 'upgraded' me for free (not that I use HANS). Thankfully I just do track days so don't need a new lid. The current equivalent is the Bell GT5 Sport, which is £439 from Merlin Motorsport. I actually tried on a few Bell helmets at Merlin (I also have a Bell shaped head) but ended up buying from Advantage because they had the size I wanted in stock. Both the Sport 5 and GT5 Sport are FIA 8859-2015. There's no mention of Snell on the sticker in my Sport 5.

Edited by GulfSeven

• 1 month later...

I'm definitely upgrading to a HANS system for track days next season. My current helmet is HANS compatible, but I don't yet have the HANS brace.

The reason for this is that one of our track day members had a serious crash at the end of last season that left him with serious life-changing head injuries when his helmet hit the passenger seat in his 2022 GR86, whereas his passenger who was on the impact side of the crash had no head injury due to the side air bag that supported his head, with the car travelling backwards and hitting sideways into a concrete barrier behind a tyre wall.

It drove home to me the need to restrict head movement in the case of a crash, especially when using a harness.