Click here if you are having website access problems ×

time to drop my bottom out?

graearea

so my car is about to fit 60k miles (thanks John Aston! :D) and my last oil change there was fine shavings on the magnetic plug

Screenshot2023-08-04at13_43_22.png.27804a6c1babdf89bf778b8e26ffee9c.png

I'm thinking maybe I should get the bottom end checked out and so I was thinking of removing the engine and taking it up to Rob at RatRace. or should I just drop the sump and have a look? I'm about to drop the oil out so I was going to have a look at the oil before making a decision

anyone seen any guides to remove/replace a duratec from a metric R400? is it easy? I assume I need a engine crane, some ratchet straps and a torque wrench. I was going to buy a 2nd hand one and then sell it again, or just check the club list to see if anyone local has one.

thanks!

J

That looks perfectly normal to me, and shows the mag plug is doing what it should be doing.  You don't appear to have any larger lumps of bearing materials or anything else.  Its looks like simply fine metal particles in oil.  Wipe it clean and monitor it would be my suggestion.  

#3  I was about to post a link to my Guide (R400D) but you've found it anyway.

The job isn't difficult, provided you've got a good selection of tools.  A load-leveller for the engine crane helps a lot.  Lifting eyes are a bonus (IME fitted to kit-supplied cars only).  I removed my engine and gearbox as a unit as the object was to get the box refurbished.

JV

• Leadership Team

I agree with Tom, wipe it clean with a clean cloth and inspect what you have on the cloth rather than the magnetic plug which always makes it look worse than it is.

Stu.

One health check with the Duratec that could be worthwhile is checking the inlet valve spring tension vs the exhaust valves. As detailed in my engine failure thread (https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/comment/2421006#comment-2421006), all 8 of my inlet valve springs had suffered spring resonance fatigue failure with 30,000 road and 10,000 track kilometres. This condition looks to be a spring and inlet valve weight mismatch problem for cars that had the same cam and valve springs as my 2012 R400 Duratec. Removing the cam cover and pressing down on the bucket tappets should reveal whether the springs are 5mm or so shorter than they should be due to most of the spring sitting on the broken 1.25 turns of the bottom part of the coil.

I didn't notice any engine performance change due to the springs still holding the valves closed, until one spring suffered a second break and the valve dropped in to the cylinder, but small particles of steel from the spring breaks could show up on an oil drain magnetic plug.

• 2 weeks later...

So. I made a massive mistake. That's not the sump plug. That's a diff plug. I dropped the oil this week and the duratec doesn't have a flippin magnetic sump plug. Anyone know if one exists for a wet redline duratec sump? Raceline say no. 
I'm sending some oil off to millers for analysis this week so hopefully that'll come back clean. 
IMG_1757.thumb.jpeg.1dbbe212f6f0dd1c4d48ff399716a79e.jpeg

the photo of the magplug was my diff plug from 3 months ago that I'd forgotten that I'd changed the diff oil (suspected quaife diff).

the engine oil is with millers now getting checked and I'm waiting on a oil filter and the report before I put the oil back in.

the lack of a magplug for the duratec is pretty annoying.

• Area Representative

#18 graearea - Good choice of limited slip unit. You will not be disappointed.

I would recommend putting the change in your diary as Steve Perks is a one man band so lead in times can be up to three weeks or more as his products are popular.