Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series Engine Oil Type?

GregBowden

• Leadership Team

K-Series with solid followers (assume this to be the case) is 5W-50. If it has hydraulic followers it's preferable to use the original Rover specified grade which I think is 10W-40 but someone would need to confirm.

Normal but not heavy duty, in France all the 1600 K race with Motul 300V 15w50 . 5w50 is too thin, the Oil pressure is too low around 2 bar at hot and then engines broke .  With 15w50, no engine failure and the oil pressure is about 3-4 bar  which is right .

But you can use 5w50 is you use the car very gentle . An engine with 15w50 synthetic need to be warmed before accelerate hard . I think for a pure road car, 5w50 is ok but not for a former race car used somethimes on track like mine .

Mine never work on 5w50  

Normal but not heavy duty, in France all the 1600 K race with Motul 300V 15w50 . 5w50 is too thin, the Oil pressure is too low around 2 bar at hot and then engines broke .  With 15w50, no engine failure and the oil pressure is about 3-4 bar  which is right .

But you can use 5w50 is you use the car very gentle . An engine with 15w50 synthetic need to be warmed before accelerate hard . I think for a pure road car, 5w50 is ok but not for a former race car used somethimes on track like mine .

Mine never work on 5w50  

Mine never work on 5w50  

Mine never work on 5w50  

Mine never work on 5w50  

Mine never work on 5w50  

This is the theory as the 50  is the same 50  but in reality no . The 50 of a 15w50 is thicker than the 50 of 5 w 50 .

The proof is : the better oil will be a 0w50   or a 0w60  but it is not . As more the difference between the 2  numbers is great more additives you have in it ...  and it is not very good at all

Sorry I didn't answer about oil pressure, the second owner who did not know that it was a former race car , it used 5w50 oil sold the car to me as the pressure was too low and he was afraid by that .  As we experienced in France, some K series engine failure due to bad lubrication . As soon I got the Caterham, I filled the car with the right oil and then the pressure raised 1 bar .

But what they use 5w50 in a road car :  

1) For small trip,  if you don't  let the car to reach the good temperature ( oil temperature I mean not only water temperature ) before use the car at high rev, the 5w50 is better .

2) I For the valves hydraulic adjustment , during the 5 sec from start , it is better too 

3) For emission purpose  the 5w50 is better , and for ultimate power and the fuel consumption the 5w50 is better too 

But for longevity, it is not .  

I do prefer to warm up the engine

With a K series the fuel consumption is ridiculous, so no matter.

I do some times trackdays, one of my friend , the president of the French Caterham Club broke his 1800 vvc K series engines due to the 5w50 and he use now a 20w60 Motul 300V Le Mans which to thick from my point of view :-)

• Leadership Team

Regarding the engine failures of French race/track cars, are these dry sump engines?  

Do they have an Apollo tank fitted?

Or just standard specification road engines?

2 bar hot running pressure is definitely not the case with 5W-50 in a healthy engine, 3.5 - 4 bar is normal.