Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Grabbing and release sensation on the brakes when coming to a halt

Ralph45

Evening everyone and once again I ask for some advice.

My car runs pre 15 style AP four pot calipers and vented discs all normal stuff so far.I've owned this seven for about a year and a half and it was purchased from a reputable dealer.When new to me I noted that the discs felt warped as braking at anything around 60 mph made the steering vibrate in my hands and when coming to a halt at slow speed it was if the car slowed and then released the brakes,this feeling is only seat of the pants feeling but none the Less there.I couldn't get the work done inside the warranty period but I have to say the dealer was as always is in my experience brilliant and agreed to sort it at my convenience. New discs were fitted and all good for about 300 miles and I'm sorry to admit very steady miles but now the slow speed grabbing and releasing when coming to a halt has reappeared its not something I've encountered on my previous sevens but I have to say that they all ran the Girling calipers and std discs!

Anyone got an idea what's going on?

If it helps any I have EBC yellow pads in the front and haven't a clue about the rears.

thanks in advance 

Ralph

Hard braking, then keeping pedal pressed once car stopped can cause pad material to burn onto disc face. This then causes pulses as you brake afterwards. Clean it up by braking hard (but not locking wheels) from say 70 to 30 mph when nothing behind you. Then drive a mile to cool brakes, repeat a few times. Drive a few miles to cool brakes before stopping.

Thanks for your reply's both ideas seem feasible.l shall try the hard braking Ian referred to first just as soon as the road salt clears as they were out again last night and if no joy with that solution I'll be trying Beaglers suggestions.

Ralph

Ralph you should check steering and suspension joints also. You could also remove pads and rub braking surface on a flat surface with medium emery. Put smear of copper grease between piston and rear of pad on assembly. Deglaze the disc also with emery.

Ralph you should check steering and suspension joints also. You could also remove pads and rub braking surface on a flat surface with medium emery. Put smear of copper grease between piston and rear of pad on assembly. Deglaze the disc also with emery.

• Area Representative

I thought my discs may be warped as I sometimes experienced pulsing of the brakes. I came to the conclusion that it is pad material on the disc as SM25T has outlined. This is quite likely as I do not use the handbrake but simply use my foot brake when temporarily stopped on a hill. I don't propose to use my handbrake as I find it a bit of a faff on a 7 so I have simply got used to it. 

Thanks again for all the input from everyone and I shall check out and try all of the advice I've been given as soon as I can,I'll go through it all I just need the road salt to be gone asap! 
If anyone has more ideas I will greatfully add them to the to do list I'm accumulating.

Ralph