Click here if you are having website access problems ×

De Dion (Rear)

Ralph

First of all apologies if this seems a lame question but this is the first time I have had a car with De Dion suspension. Last car was  Live Axle.

My questions are doe's the below photo of the anti roll bar look right to to you guys as it seems very close to the wheel. This is an ex track/drift car so presumably suspension set for this purpose as I am now converting for road use should I adjust this ?

Novice De Dion owner

Ralph 20230106_120346.thumb.jpg.d056e929bf95eda8a2a23a0df8e1937e.jpg

It looks normal to me. My rear ARB is also pretty close to the wheel rim. 

With regards to how it's adjusted, I think that's down to personal preference really. Rear ARB adjustment is just one aspect of suspension set up, so it's a bit of a 'how long is a ball of string?' type question.

I've tried various front bars & all the options with the rear bar & I've discovered I like the rear bar set quite stiff, but a lot of people on here seem to think the best option is to throw the rear bar away. I think that would make my car very understeer-y!

Ultimately, I think you'll have to experiment with it & see what suits you the best.

• Area Representative

Looks ok to me but as said it is on the stiffest setting which will promote oversteer - exactly what's needed on a drift car but may need to be adjusted for road use. Normally the drop link is unbolted and moved to another slot. The presence of a spare "ball" makes it easy to flick off the joint and swap to the spare very quickly. This is what the racers do. Suspect also what was done with the drift car to allow quick changes for different weather or track surfaces.

• Area Representative

Swapping the drop arm from one ball to another in situ could be a PITA as the small lock ring may be difficult to get a purchase on.

Better to remove the link to reposition as at the same time one can lubricate the ball & socket. Rear Anti Roll Bar Drop Link Maintenance | Caterham and Lotus Seven Club (caterhamlotus7.club)

Where the spare ball is could be the best set up for road driving. When I built my car I started at the hole most forward *yikes* then kept going back a hole until I was one hole forward from the rear of the blade.

Thank All 

I have learnt a a lot epically in regard to Geoff and Johnathan's links so I will move it to the spare ball softer setting and follow the suggestion in Geoff's post and re grease the ball. It's always good to which way to adjust thing instead of guessing.

Happy New Year *byebye*

The picture looks weird to me as on my 1992 dedion arrangement the ARB and the linkage is over the top rather than underneath with the ARB stretching just under the boot front floor

Out of interest when did it change to under and why ? No doubt one for Jonathan

• Area Representative

Ralph - One cannot service the ball & socket joints endlessly as in the end they do wear 'beyond limit'. Normally greasing will take up any small amount of slack but there will come a time when the links will get past this point. 

Experience has taught me that without servicing the drop link ends they can last as little as two years/6000 miles. But with annual servicing & lubrication can last a considerable time.

This is an MoT failure IF the Inspector takes the time to give them a wiggle!