Bluetooth intercoms

nic.day

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did this on a set of ear defenders, works ok. Big tip: careful of connecting both sets to a phone, for some reason they produce a dangerously loud beep regularly (or at least mine do). Solved by only using one set connected to a phone (for music, nav etc).

• 2 weeks later...

So I have now updated my old units to a pair of Cardo Freecom 4X motorbike intercoms

They are really good, the sound quality is amazing as they have JBL speakers and both my wife and myself can listen to one music source shared over both headsets and have the intercom active at the same time, plus as I use the phone for music AND satnav, I get the voice directions as well all in one place.

Really happy with the installation and being wireless I can use one set when I am out on my own

IMG_3600Large.jpeg.c007aab8b61a6855915ccef623fdef94.jpeglarge_IMG_3599Large.jpeg.c0bda38938e23cbb2f8f614279fdddd3.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully these photos work ok!

Quick report on the Stihl Advance ProCOM headsets. I paid £280/set, so £560 for the pair. Units arrived in nice packaging and very easy to set up:

- updating the firmware (via a downloadable app on my mac)

- phone app for on the move adjustment of certain features (see below) 

- both bluetooth connection to a phone and bluetooth connection to each other, which is automatic when both (or multiple) pairs switched on

The sound proofing is excellent, music quality good and speaking to each other really good as the microphone has difference sensitivity settings (adjustable via the phone app) which is very useful for a Caterham. Stihl claim a 600M range, I haven't tested this yet, as purchased to use for me and the better half in the same car.

A very useful function is being able to mute the microphone, and over ride this by pressing a 'push to talk button'. Alternatively the microphone can be left 'always on' and controlled by the aforementioned sensitivity function. 

Buttons are very easy to use, even wearing gloves and the unit is very well padded and comfortable for long term use.

For me wanting a) no cables b) to listen to music c) leave Waze on for navigation d) take phone calls and use Siri e) talk to my passenger, these offer best value on the market with excellent support online (firmware updating, how to use etc).

IMG_5254D.thumb.jpeg.b731f66db1214abc12040812e353d298.jpeg

IMG_5311D_0.thumb.jpeg.eb3f998a2b586704d0d6669794565107.jpeg

IMG_5312D_0.thumb.jpeg.afe6afd6702a4ea2e393cdbb620d053c.jpeg

IMG_5313D_0.thumb.jpeg.43ecffb4c9a76c65ca360765084fbe0f.jpeg

Reading the tech specs on the Sthil website, the sets create a Mesh network using Bluetooth, with a claimed range of 600mtres. They were designed to keep logging crews in communication around a forest site, so if the Mesh (relay) works well enough you should be able to add multiple headsets and remain in contact if driving in close convoy.... maybe. 

Sthil does warn against compatibility with other Mesh systems - Sena being one - but that could be brand protection work. A real-world test with multiple units / brands  might reveal different results.

There are a few similar products designed for motorcycle riders - with in-helmet Comms using a similar Bluetooth mesh network. These are also reputed to refuse to play nicely with other brands....  the motorcycle press reviews recommend groups stick with one system for guaranteed connectivity, so I would expect Seven owners would suffer the same.

Happy to be proved wrong here - live chat while blating as a group would be an interesting addition, but it currently requires costly hardware and a coordinated effort by all involved.

• Leadership Team

Mesh BT comms should really be the way to go but potentially due to the number of different systems and compatability there's still mileage in using a PMR radio. Full BT mesh is coming though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Nic, great work.can I ask a few questions about how you did it?

Were the Peltors originally just ear protection or were they already a coms set? I'm just wondering about the mic and if you channeled the wire through

or if it was already there. I'm guessing the hybrid mic that comes with the Cardo has an adhesive part to it?? Any more info about the hack would be fab.

Can't bring myself to spend £500-800 for these other systems. Thanks in advance.

Hey, no worries on the questions either. My first set up was cheap too because I could not justify the cost just to talk to the wife!

so I had a pair of old ear defenders and just popped them apart and stuck, ran wires and clipped the motorbike intercom in. But this set were the big ear defenders and they were to bulky for my taste. So changed to these basic peltor ear defenders. Again took them apart and added in the intercom. I used a dremmel to cut a couple of reliefs in the shell to allow the mic boom and wires to exit and clipped them back together. A couple of cable ties and all done.

The motorbike kit came with Velcro for the mic (remember they are designed to stick in side a helmet) and Velcro for the speakers. 

I am going to sell my old pair of motorbike intercoms that I removed from the peltors to upgrade to the new ones. They work well for Bluetooth music, satnav etc. plus you can talk to your passenger as well. But just not at the same time as the music and satnav.

shout if you want any more answers or photos etc

Nic, you're a genius!

Ordered some bits off Amazon this week — Cardo Freecom 2x (single; the wife refuses to join me in the Caterham *driving* ) for £160, and some 3M Peltor Optime III Earmuffs for £23. I bit of drilling, cutting and filing this morning, et voila!

Very happy with the relatively cheap solution *woohoo*

5D53756D-D75D-4665-992F-FA6730F640E5-81844-00000E77300894EB-s.thumb.jpg.b573e001794f5c33b55a79ee37d9d012.jpg 37904B01-BD11-4F0E-ABBA-E924BC43A92B-81844-00000E7738801F27-s.thumb.jpg.f8bf5f15affc13925c8ba14ea7c24539.jpg

I've not tested it in the car yet, but wandering around the house it works great *rofl*
I love how you can set a speed dial from your contacts, and a double press of a button calls it. Have tested that out with calling the wife, and it works well. Tested music and podcasts too - all good. The "interface" (buttons) for Cardo work well. Once one has remembered the combinations of one or two presses and stops calling the wife when one meant to use Siri *laugh*

No foam cutting required. The speakers just sit with their Velcro on top of the foam nicely. There's plenty of room from there to your ears. 
It was just a bit of cutting of the red "spacer" section. I filed the inner grey bit down by only a mm or two for the boom, just so I could position it a little better.