Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cabling through the bulkhead

Paul N

Some advice please.  

Purchased a comfort connector panel for C-Tek battery charger & going to fit it in the fuse box cover of our 420R, need to run cables from inside the car to battery somehow. 

Cabling comes with inline fuse, don't want to cut any cables & have to re solder, looked at rubber grommet in transmission tunnel under dash but space looks very tight & don't want to damage any existing cabling etc. 

Thought about drilling bulkhead & finding a suitable grommet, just don't want to add any excuses for water leaking in etc

Would appreciate any suggestions, suitable grommets etc

Many thanks

Thanks for your replies folks,

Link to part, it's the end with eyelets & fuse holder needed to push through grommet from inside the car https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiTscvd_Yr7AhUYsu0KHTrjCVkYABALGgJkZw&ae=2&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAASJORoy6H0GVs-hnONPiZ4wn75i7cbYvsj5cJ0hSaaLCLuSAXcaA&sig=AOD64_0XLovFqhPl0x34uYxLg7h41syfbw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwj438Td_Yr7AhV0nVwKHQDZCNAQ9aACKAB6BAgFEBo&adurl=

Sorry not sure on amperage, usually trickle charge through factory 12V socket

Cant split wiring at in line fuse holder, it's all moulded on I'm afraid, I can however remove the fuse to slim it down slightly, maybe I didn't try hard enough with existing grommet for fear of damaging something?

Thanks gents CTEK lead from charger connects under dash to charge next to existing 12V point, neither end of cable is removable on unit in the link. 

Have to say did think about cutting cable near fuse holder & re-soldering,that's probably my best way forward certainly don't want to drill holes in bulkhead unless I have to. 

Will have another look later in the week, & update thanks for your replies*thumb_up*

I drilled the bulkhead on my 420R and used a standard bulkhead gland.  Fitted it with the nut on the inside and the cable gland nut which compresses the rubber seal on the engine side of the bulkhead.  Had no leaks so far.  I am running the leads to the CTEK charger and the leaders from oil temp and water temp sender through it as well.

Colin

Thanks for all your help, sorted*thumb_up*

Did as SM25T suggested with blunt item to stretch grommet then fed through easily, had to remove grommet from transmission tunnel to do so, was fun to put back in *blabla* but all good. Fitted a USB C socket while in fuse box cover area as existing 12V socket with an adapter wasn't charging phone.

Gave myself a proper fright, got arm stuck between exhaust manifold & bodywork while feeding wires through for what felt like an age, managed to free it with a few cuts n bruises, was a bit like it's OK don't panic, don't panic, HELP PANIC!!! 

All's well that ends well*thumb_up*

I fitted a DIN socket for connecting my CTEK charger and also fitted one of the combined USB-A, USB-C and miniature ammeters.  These both fitted on the front of the panel which covers the fuse box area.  Also have the original Cigar lighted socket still in place..  The cigar lighter is switched by the master key and the combined unit and the DIN are direct to the battery.  The combined unit also has a smll on-off push button.  GIves me the best of all worlds.  Can have sat nav and phone plugged in and other half can charge her phone/ipad at same time or even charge battery packs.

Colin 

I ran mint cable through the pedal box cover, I used some thin felt tape to create a sort of seal fit the lid to sit on, then left a small gap in the tape to run the cable through, then screwed the cover back on, and then ran the cable along the back of the dash and into the fuse box cover. 

B89F26D8-701D-4C9B-97A0-28B3585067FA.thumb.jpeg.d7af5de5e3ed0de77c4d98350626d5ac.jpeg D7258399-3E14-45C3-BD25-420B414A0B83.thumb.jpeg.f52f6195dbf480d9b0b6a0018b7e7bf1.jpeg​​​​​​​