Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Coolant Sensor Thread

RyCliff

Hi All, 

I've been a real wally and thrown away the old water temperature sensor on my k series before checking the new one fits... And the new one has a different thread to the old! New one I've got is an MEK100060, which fits in the loom but not the coolant rail (thread is smaller on the sensor). Is there a reducer I've mistakenly thrown away?

Very annoyed with myself, schoolboy error. Even spent 30 minutes going through bins to no avail trying to find the old one. 

Mine's a 1996, one of the Road sports so has the forward facing air inlet plenum on the opposite side to the coolant rail. 

I'm wondering if it was in a sensor probe pocket and I've thrown that out too.

The old sensor was black but had a central locating point on the housing so I assumed it was the brown. https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/forum/techtalk/k-series-coolant-temperature-ecu-sensor-types-what-have-you-got

this is the page I used to decipher which probe, though it says both have the same thread anyway

Yep that's the one. Though just measured up the thread on the sensor I've been sent by discount mg rover spares which has a thread OD of 10mm. So either the linked page is wrong or my posted part. I'll give them a call in the morning 

• Leadership Team

Ryan, there are two coolant sensors in the water rail, one for the ecu and one for the gauge. IIRC the ecu sensor is the larger diameter thread, have you mistakenly bought one for the gauge?

Stu.

Yep definitely the larger sensor Stu, 2 wire connection whereas the gauge is a single wire probe.

Decided to check the new one with a caliper this morning and the thread OD is 12mm, so I guess it is correct. Hopefully a call to Chris at Redline might shed some light. 

I've found a picture of the old temperature sensor on the car before I binned it. Looks like it was a much smaller thread than M12 of the replacement but with a bushing to take it down (that I've removed thinking it was part of the sensor). No luck from Redline on identifying it. I've got a Stack ST700 rev counter with temperature readout but this doesn't look like the stack sensors. 

Starting to tear my hair out with it now! 

IMG_20220717_1407213.thumb.jpg.1ecc6bdee3bb9900740b5d4f2dee7b44.jpg

Thanks very much, looks like this is the much newer submarine arrangement. I've ended up dropping my coolant rail off with Oakmere to see if they can identify the thread.

Interesting that my gauge sensor has a single wire and is earthed through the rail whereas the above has a wired earth. Presumably this gives a better reading. 

• Leadership Team

Ryan, if memory serves me correctly it was around '96 that the gauge sensor changed from being a single connection earthed via the coolant rail, to a twin connection earthed through the loom.  In Anthony's install above there's a threaded rod that's part of the submarine tube to enable it to be earthed for earlier gauges, it'll be on the rear so can't be seen in Anthony's photo.

The ecu sensor has always been a twin connection.

Stu.

Mine is the same as Mechanical Moz.

Looked more closely at the rail and it looks like for some reason someone had welded a slightly larger boss on then bushed it down. Once I've worked out the thread of the boss I should be away... Also need the radiator from Radtec to arrive! 

Not going too bad thanks. Managed to get a new wing from Oakmere and have had both resprayed. Had a load of leftover paint from the garage so using that to tidy the old rivnut locations up before bolting the new wings on.

No further damage from what I've come across with nose cone and radiator off. Once the new rad arrives I'll be able to have a run out and check for anything unusual. There were some knocks on the drive home but given the number of cable ties holding things together I can't tell if any were to concern over! 

Thanks Wrightpayne, yep the boss looks to be the same, will double check when I pick mine back up from Oakmere tomorrow. 

Interesting though as the only senders sold for the k series are all M12 threads as far as I've found but can't see an obvious reducer on yours.