Click here if you are having website access problems ×

It's the little things (unnecessary upgrades)

Graham Hutton

IIRC we once identified that were two different types of lamps used in gauges. And that LED replacements were available for both. And for the dash warning lights, along with the necessary modifications for two of them.

I recommend checking that yours are BA9s before ordering.

Jonathan

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd get this thread going again as since I last posted, I have managed to do loads more time consuming unnecessary things 🙂

• Radtech radiator upgrade
  • Meteor motorsport aeroscreen and Motamec mirrors
  • CORE adjustable suspension
  • Better catch tank arrangement
  • Completely over the top travel tool kit
  • LED lights all round
  • Magnetic plugs in diff and sump
  • Snazzy diff and gearbox oil

Hours of fun! Anyone got any other new ideas of how I can waste my time in the garage?

I really want to do some kind of throttle body upgrade next but now that Premier Power has closed its workshop I'm not sure what to do about that.

• Like 1

I stayed with the Orange OAT coolant on the basis that the engine is more expensive than a radiator and I can change it regularly.

I have the Caterham LED upgrade at the rear which is great, the JAL front indicators and the classic LED headlight and sidelight bulbs in the standard lenses. They are so good, I am not sure there is any more value to be had by more expensive headlight upgrades

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hoped to avoid this topic, thought it could get a bit time-consuming, but couldn’t resist!  It’s a 2009 175 Roadsport SV kit…

Caterham throttle bodies, fitted by the boys at Caterham Midlands, best mod out there.

A visit to The Two Steves for some ECU fettling to smooth things out after fitting R400 cams, injectors and valve springs.

Cat eliminator pipe, together with lighter silencer from JP Exhausts of Macclesfield for some quality sounds.

Carbon fibre propshaft with much better U/J’s. A thing of beauty but nobody can see it!

Nitron NTR1 suspension from Meteor.

AP racing brake master cylinder. Better brake pedal feel.

Flexi hoses for rear calipers.

JAL rear lights as well as a high level brake light and LED number plate lamp.

Home-made tool roll, only used once after forgetting final tightening on wheel nuts after dropping car off axle stands and setting off in a hurry!

Stronger rear anti-roll bar droplinks from McGill.

Fire extinguisher on rear bulkead between seats.

Extra lumbar support put into leather seats by local coachtrimmer.

Small 1” bracket mounted on transmission tunnel as clutch foot rest (the beauty of an SV!).

Better quality brake light switch from Car Builder Solutions.

Punched a hole through driver’s seat cushion, tidied with plastic trim, to fit crotch strap for infrequent track days.

Finally, apart from all the things I’ve forgotten in 15 years of ownership, a visit to Dave at Genzoe for a thorough flat-floor setup which made it steer beautifully.

When will it all stop?!

Julian

• Like 1

Wow, i've got a long way to go, i have only had the car 18 months.  My Caterham is a 2014 Roadsport SV 175 Duratec.

So far,  Drexler LSD to replace the RS Titan.

13 x 6 and 13 x 8 Caterham wheels and ZZS tyres to replace the original 14 x 6 wheels and 2014 dated tyres.

Titanium wheel nuts, half the weight of the std items.

Rear ARB fitted.

A set of 620 R Bilstein coil overs. I even change the colour of the springs to match the stripe down the bonnet. ( I need help, don't I)

Flat floored, corner weighed.

QR steering upper column.

Windscreen mounted mirrors to replace hi mount side mirrors.

Harness belts in place of inertia reels.

Removed the spare wheel and carrier.

Haltech ECU  fitted which required replacing all the gauges because the haltech wouldn't talk to the Caterham gauges.

Compete side exit R500 exhaust to replace the rear exit euro4 stock item, Cat delete pipe.

Kent D-Tec 10 cams

Jenvey ITB's with Bosch green giant injectors.

My car came with upgraded brakes so all good on that front.  I keep telling myself that the car is now sorted the way i want it, but, i keep looking for a Cosworth big valve head and if i find one at the right price i guess pistons, rods and crank mods will follow.

Maybe i need a light weight flywheel?

The above list pales into insignificance compared to my other go to car a 1977 Leyland Moke.  There's just not enough space to list the mods to that. 

Dave

On 04/02/2024 at 20:34, Graham Hutton said:

I stayed with the Orange OAT coolant on the basis that the engine is more expensive than a radiator and I can change it regularly.

I have the Caterham LED upgrade at the rear which is great, the JAL front indicators and the classic LED headlight and sidelight bulbs in the standard lenses. They are so good, I am not sure there is any more value to be had by more expensive headlight upgrades

You are aware the LED bulbs in standard headlights is a potential MOT fail ?

11 hours ago, juleslid said:

Home-made tool roll, only used once after forgetting final tightening on wheel nuts after dropping car off axle stands and setting off in a hurry!

Once upon a time I ran a Bulk Buy for canisters with brackets. With optional partitioned and unpartitioned tool rolls. It's amazing how many places they can be fitted in a Seven, including under the bonnet. As with the jack and handle.

Jonathan

Yes, I know there is the potential MOT fail but you can’t see the type of bulb through the glass and given how much better they are I have taken the risk. That said, my first MOT is next month so I guess I’ll find out!

Also made up a toolkit this winter following the thread from a Caterham called fern. Made me think I was a fool for not sorting one sooner!

11 minutes ago, Graham Hutton said:

Also made up a toolkit this winter…  Made me think I was a fool for not sorting one sooner!

I had an issue the first time I drove my 7 any distance that I was able to fix at the roadside without tools.

I was on my way to a Club/Caterham F1 event at Silverstone.  Upon arrival, chatting to another member they were astonished that I ever considered going out in the 7 without tools.  

Since then, I have carried a range of bits and pieces that I expect to sort all but major failures.

Needless to say, in the ten years since, I never used it (apart from the odd minor thing when parked up).